Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cushy CMS, NOF10 and google / SEO

chris

Default Cushy CMS, NOF10 and google / SEO

Hi Guys
    Just worked on www.wymeswoldbowlingclub.co.uk and wanted your opinion.
    Will google etc find the cms content as its done by bringing in the
    cushy page in an iframe. Can they see the content.
    I did it this way so you don't lose cushy content if you change main nof
    pages.
    Also I don't really like the having to scroll down the page because
    obviously the page has to fit in iframe.
    I tried auto but it didn't work, if I felt I didn't need the bottom nav
    bar (for google) I would have made a very long iframe!!!
    Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Hi Guys
    Just worked on www.wymeswoldbowlingclub.co.uk and wanted your opinion.
    Will google etc find the cms content as its done by bringing in the
    cushy page in an iframe. Can they see the content.
    I did it this way so you don't lose cushy content if you change main nof
    pages.
    Also I don't really like the having to scroll down the page because
    obviously the page has to fit in iframe.
    I tried auto but it didn't work, if I felt I didn't need the bottom nav
    bar (for google) I would have made a very long iframe!!!
    Thanks Chris
    Why would you want to bring in the content using an iframe? Use a php include statement instead.

Iframes are separate documents so they will not be indexed with the parent page but as separate pages. You probably do not have any site navigation on your iframe page so when someone comes in via google to that iframe they are at a dead end and cannot find your web site.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I agree with Mike. Abandon the iFrame route altogether and switch your page publishing method to .php and use the php include. No scroll bars.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

chris

Default Re: Cushy CMS, NOF10 and google / SEO

On 26/02/2011 13:39, chris wrote:
    > Hi Guys
    > Just worked on www.wymeswoldbowlingclub.co.uk and wanted your opinion.
    > Will google etc find the cms content as its done by bringing in the
    > cushy page in an iframe. Can they see the content.
    > I did it this way so you don't lose cushy content if you change main nof
    > pages.
    > Also I don't really like the having to scroll down the page because
    > obviously the page has to fit in iframe.
    > I tried auto but it didn't work, if I felt I didn't need the bottom nav
    > bar (for google) I would have made a very long iframe!!!
    > Thanks Chris

Disappointed nobody's got an answer???

Yes, Google will see the iFrame content.
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM

Sorry guys, there was no reply attached to my original request (I'm using thunderbird news reader, maybe problem there?)
    Then I noticed your replys further down? So I'm now in FF
    I'm not sure where to answer now but here goes.
    I did it with iframes because I thought that was the way to do it.
    I tried to go back to Nancys tutorials to check but they seem to be down.
    http://www.alt-web.com/Tutorials/CUSHYCMS/index.html
    I'm not sure how to use the php include statement so perhaps a little guidance as I don't like scroll bars either.
    It would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Chris

Chris,

It's a multi-step process.

1. Suggest your first rename your Local Publish folder to another name, such as Previous_DDMMYY. And create a template of the current site as this is the best backup process.

2. In Fusion change the publish method to .PHP. Go to PUBLISH>Publish Settings>Advanced and change the File EXTENSION to .PHP - if it's not in the list type in .PHP

I use the example of the index page but repeat the following for every page that has an iFrame call:-

3. Open index.php and replace the iFrame with a text box, CTRL+T, enter
    Code:
    <?php include 'html/content-index.php'; ?>
    and for all other pages use:-
    Code:
    <?php include 'content-YYYYY.php'; ?>
    because of the folder structure.

4. Re-size the page accordingly as you will no longer need a page 2000 px long.

5. Rename the page that WAS the iFrame feeding your index page and call it content-index (or whatever naming conventions you prefer).

6. Repeat for all iFrame pages, local publish.

You wont be able to view the pages locally unless you install and set up a local server like XAMPP, but you are probably good to go, so upload the new set of PHP pages to the sever. Best to clean up the server first and move the old HTML pages to a folder to match your recently renamed local folder e.g. Previous_DDMMYY.

7. When you are happy with the result. Change all your Cushy references to the new .php pages.

Personally I like to clean up the 'content-xxxx.php' pages manually to remove the unwanted html that Fusion generates. But the pages will still work if left alone but it's cleaner, tidier, faster, if you strip out the unwanted markup (one of the reasons I and others have requested a selectable publish format to generate plain text pages). In theory you wont be editing these pages again in Fusion so a manual effort is OK. I use ConTEXT a freeware editor (ConText Download).

Good luck. Once you get to grips with this method you'll find lots of other ways to benefit from the php include!

Many thanks Paul
    That certainly works MUCH better apart from---
    Previously I had 2 nof sites one master and one cms in cms folder on same root all published flat and this worked fine. This is so uploads from nof on the master won't delete cushy content.
    I saved templates etc and made up a new test site to play with and it all works fine thanks to your very usefull help.
    But I can't see any pictures although they are there if I look at the cms page direct. I think its because using iframe the whole lot is inserted but the php include only brings in the text/html and the pictures are then referenced to img src=root of cms page whereas the include is on the main root.
    I suppose I could have all files on the root with one nof site and be carefull not to upload cms pages. Or maybe put upload path in cushy to main root tho I'm not sure how you could could go up from root?
    What way do you use and is it ok being flat publish.
    Also I'm confused with one or two cushy items. With page width, is this fixed or can it be changed?
    And there is no image/text wrapping so I assume the only way is to use a table if you want text and image side by side?
    Last thing as a text editor I use notepad++, is ConTEXT better in your opinion and you say you strip out the unwanted markup, can you give me a clue what to remove as I'm not very au fait with html.
    I know I said last one above but one more question, with images do you make your customers do full image optimisation themselves or is it ok to do it in cushy as long as the files aren't too big.
    Many thanks, sorry its so long. Chris
    Last edited by rockingh; 03-07-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockingh View Post
    ...But I can't see any pictures although they are there if I look at the cms page direct. I think its because using iframe the whole lot is inserted but the php include only brings in the text/html and the pictures are then referenced to img src=root of cms page whereas the include is on the main root.
    I suppose I could have all files on the root with one nof site and be carefull not to upload cms pages. Or maybe put upload path in cushy to main root tho I'm not sure how you could could go up from root?
    What way do you use and is it ok being flat publish.
    I always publish in NOF's default - by asset. So I follow the normal folder structure. The php inlcude doesn't distinguish images from html so your includes will bring in images and anything else that is part of the included page. Therefore you need to double check the syntax within the CMS pages as that is probably the cause of the problem. If you upload a test site and post a URL I may be able to assist more. Don't forget you can force NOF not to publish your CMS pages once you are done, so you can keep it all in one NOD file if you like. I did do it your way for a while but it's easier to have everything in one file, IMHO.

Also I'm confused with one or two cushy items. With page width, is this fixed or can it be changed?
    You set the width of your master pages and then size your cms pages to fit into that width. If the CMS pages are too wide it will break your design by pulling in a wider page than the master page.

And there is no image/text wrapping so I assume the only way is to use a table if you want text and image side by side?
    No, text wrapping around an image is the same as normal. So your CMS pages are created in exactly the same way as you work with all other pages.

Last thing as a text editor I use notepad++, is ConTEXT better in your opinion and you say you strip out the unwanted markup, can you give me a clue what to remove as I'm not very au fait with html.
    I've not used Notepad++ so can't comment but ConTEXT is probably similar - download it and try - it's free.

When you visit the pages online and then 'view source' you will see what I mean. Becasue NOF generates markup for every page you'll have a lot of unnecessary code in the CMS pages - doc type, all the meta tags etc. Possibly duplicate JavaScript, if you are using it in master borders.

I know I said last one above but one more question, with images do you make your customers do full image optimisation themselves or is it ok to do it in cushy as long as the files aren't too big.
    Well, so far I have been lucky! None of my clients have done any image work so that problem hasn't arrived here yet. BUT with Surreal (paid version) there is an option to have an email sent to me every time a client updates a page. So I always check the pages they update.

Thanks Paul, all v good info.
    I have now changed to one nod file and published by assets and it seems good except because the index.php is in the root and the cms-index is in html pictures don't work there as the path is incorrect. They are fine for other pages. I feel it would work fine published flat so everythings in one place???
    You can see here
    www.test.chris-ward.co.uk I've only done home and contact at the moment and don't laugh at the pics as they were first ones I came across.

With image placement it seems I can left, centre or right fix an image and then type only a line either side(if centred) rather than several lines as in nof with right wrap for example.
    Otherwise all seems good.

Should I use php include to import the google map or is it ok as is.
    Thanks again. Chris