Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Different Browser Compatibility

Default Different Browser Compatibility

OK, so in addition to being my first post, I'm also a complete newbie when it comes to making a website so bear with me.

I've just created a website (not live yet) and it looks great in Chrome, Safari but not in Explorer 8. When published in Explorer it resizes everything and shifts it around. When published in Safari and Chrome it looks fine. When I preview in Explorer it looks fine.

I'm sure it's something simple to make sure it works on all browsers but I have no idea what I should do.

I have same issues with viewing one of my pages in Internet Explorer 8 and 9.

This page looks FINE in previews, which use IE 8 and IE 9 depending on which computer I use.

This page looks FINE in published Firefox and Sea Monkey.

But the page blows up -- and would gag a maggot it's so bad -- when IE 8 and IE 9 try to display it on the Internet.

I have discovered that if I use Compatibility View in IE 8 and IE 9, the page will display correctly.

Is this a solution?

I say NO. I say NO because this page worked fine with NOF 8 in all these browsers, but the problem began with NOF 12. And I cannot rely on my readers to think of using Compatibility View just for me. Beside, Compatibility View is designed for "older browsers," such as IE 6 and IE 7, not for IE 8 and IE 9.

I started a thread on this on August 24, but have had no helpful replies.

If you have received helpful replies, please share!
    Last edited by danag17; 08-27-2011 at 01:59 AM.

I have found similar observations from other NOF users. Maybe we will get help from the senior members!

yes it is not a big issue. it is simple and common css problem and can be solved by adding some additional tags for the different browsers. do not try to adjust the site according to old versions of browsers otherwise you may have problem with the new ones

Default Further explanation of compatibility issue

I think the issue here is more complicated than what the last poster thinks. For one thing, I am not trying to get older browsers to work, I'm trying to get the latest IE browsers to work.

In my case of this browser problem:

1. My site worked just fine in all browsers with NOF 8, including IE 8 and IE 9.

2. My site does not work fine in all browsers with NOF 12, specifically IE 8 and IE 9.

3. With NOF 12, and using IE 8 and IE 9, one page loads jumbled, horrible objects that are useless.

4. However, if I put IE 8 and IE 9 into Compatibility View, then that page loads just fine.

So here we have a situation where Compatibility View -- supposedly to help OLD browsers load pages -- must be deployed to help NEW browsers. Well, by this I mean, IE 8 and IE 9. Firefox and Sea Monkey do just fine.

Not only that, but it's the latest version of NOF 12 (with the latest update) that has the problem, while NOF 8 did just fine.

As for the last poster's suggestion, where might I put these codes, and what might they be?

I wish Turtle or some other venerated senior member would weigh in. If they think the switch to Compatibility View IS the solution, I'd like to know that.

Then, I wonder if there's a way -- or if it's considered "polite" -- to force a user's IE browsers into Compatibility View. I would be reluctant to do this.

Cross browser compatibility is a major bugbear with every web developer in the world - no matter what web development software they are using. So it's not a NOF problem.

If you ask any seasoned developer they would all put the blame on one thing - MICROSOFT. All versions of Internet Explorer have always bent the rules to suit Microsoft.

The general consensus is to design and develop your pages in Firefox. Once you are happy with all aspects of your site in Firefox you then test each page in other browsers you suspect your visitors will use, so this includes Chrome, Safari for sure and then Opera and maybe one or two other less well known/used browsers if you feel inclined. In these browsers you probably wont need to make many (if any) adjustments (except for Opera). When you are happy with the site in these browsers and know that it still works in Firefox then you can begin the arduous, painful, annoying and needless task of testing in several versions of Internet Explorer - 9, 8 and 7...and they all present different issues as they all use non standard code or their own variations or in many cases just don't support many standard features.

There are several ways to overcome the problems with IE specific code - often seen in a web page source as

Code:
    <!--[if lt IE 7]>< and here would go the different requirements for whatever version of IE is used....

Google CONDITIONAL STATEMENTS and also visit http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx to see examples of the various ways we all have to bend over to ensure IE users see what we design. These conditional statements apply to HTML markup and to CSS tweaking.

Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Is Netobjects 12 update W3C compliant? Yes or no?

No idea - I've not upgraded; and won't be.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Allison Moore

Default Re: Different Browser Compatibility

> Is Netobjects 12 update W3C compliant? Yes or no?

I believe I've seen a recent post that said it produces compliant code
    when you publish as XHTML.

Allison

XHTML? Interesting. Can anyone else join in on whether NO 12 update is W3C compliant, and whether we should be publishing as XHTML? Anyone publishing as XHTML? Any issues?