Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Different Browser Compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by SolarLightCap View Post
    I have made a change, which I only discovered using rt-click inspect - for some reason a position:relative got added to the code line. It was not in my source but in the server from the PHP generation it ended up there.
    I put it into my code as absolute and problem solved:
    <td id="map_canvas" width="802" style="width: 800px; height: 520px; position: absolute; border: 2px solid rgb(204, 204, 51); background-color: rgb(229, 227, 223); overflow: hidden;" <div="">
    Thanks for your help.
    you can check for yourself on www.solarlightcap.com/html/map.html, then click your region
    I found this is not working in IE - puts bottom footer under the map and throws up an error. So frustrating, should be okay ! May have to try the iFrame idea above.

Thanks Allison Moore for suggesting to publish as XHTML so that a NO website shows well in Internet Explorer 8 & 9. I tried this with the NO Internet_Blue Template. Even publishing to my local drive, publishing as XHTML shifted all of the shaded boxes, the grey areas to the left and right of the homepage, etc., all around. So perhaps this suggestion works well if designing a site from scratch without a template using XHTML. But it doesn't seem to work with a template.

How much is this a real problem for most NO users - incompatibility with Internet Explorer 8 & 9? How often is this a problem for people? I am about to design a new and fairly large website, though hesitate to commit fully to NO for this unless I can count on my site showing in all browsers. I know that use of Explorer is down to about 22%, though this is still significant. Plus, a lot of people at local governments will be visiting my website, and I believe that for the most part they use Explorer.

So, my question is: How often is browser incompatibility a problem using Netobjects 12? All the time? Most of the time? Not very often? Any feedback would be most appreciated. If this is a real problem, what's the way most NO users deal with it? Include a statement on their homepage advising viewers using Explorer to us compatibility mode? I love Netobjects and its features, and would hate to give it up because of this problem.

Thanks!

Inline Frame was a good fix. Need to pass it parameters but for now the display problem solved.
    Last edited by SolarLightCap; 11-24-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Disaster - found out the iFrame is crashing Internet Explorer 8 !!
    Any help for this urgent problem appreciated:
    http://www.solarlightcap.com/html/searchse.php
    As proposed above, the iFrame contains a clean page set up which has an area running a google map using our SQL database. That part of it has all been working fine, but displayed badly on IE8,9
    Putting it into an iFrame worked on IE9, but crashes IE8 !

Okay fixed IE8 crash problem above by removing the layout region (that produces a table) that was around the div statement that brought in the google map. I just pasted the div statement into the html editor window.
    Needed some alignment code in there to make it look nice on IE9 !

Okay all working nicely on all browsers. Needed to specify left=0px ; on the page being displayed in the iFrame.
    you can see final working example here:
    www.SolarLightCap.com/html/search.php