Thread: Try to recover site and it deletes the sitestyle

Default Try to recover site and it deletes the sitestyle

Our site has crashed. Not sure what happened. When we try to open it it says unstable file. Then it says "An attempt was made to access an unnamed file past its end". At that point the program quits.

I have gone in to the recovery files and chosen a previous version and when it opens it deletes the site style. Is there anyway to keep that from happening?

Thanks.
    Last edited by lweber; 03-08-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Are you using the steps described in this tutorial to work with your backups? http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4035
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

From what I have read in the tutorial, it looks like we would not have any good backups. In trying to recover the site we have opened and crached Netobjects so many times we are thinking we need to try a new program. I have been using Netobjects since Version 2 and wouldn't even know where else to go but the thought of recreating the site style and all of the 98 pages is daunting to say the least.

Is there anyway to FTP the files and folders back from the web? I have tried the import website feature, but it says it can not locate the website. My assumption is that there is a problem with where it is hosted. i.e. alias firewall etc.

I will got through more of you tutorials and see if I can find anything that would help. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Unhappy

Ditto problem here. I'm sooo frustrated and ready to give up bc NO Support is not even responding -- to emails or tweets. BAD SIGN! But in the meantime, I've got a client waiting for a ton of updates. I may have to go back to an older version. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by lweber View Post
    From what I have read in the tutorial, it looks like we would not have any good backups. In trying to recover the site we have opened and crached Netobjects so many times we are thinking we need to try a new program. I have been using Netobjects since Version 2 and wouldn't even know where else to go but the thought of recreating the site style and all of the 98 pages is daunting to say the least.

Is there anyway to FTP the files and folders back from the web? I have tried the import website feature, but it says it can not locate the website. My assumption is that there is a problem with where it is hosted. i.e. alias firewall etc.

I will got through more of you tutorials and see if I can find anything that would help. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I guess you haven't been exporting the site as a template during the almost 20 years you've been using NoF? But you should have the NoF Autosaves in the Autosaves folder, and from around v8 onwards you should also have Backups in whatever folder you set in Site Options. You should be able to regain the site from one of those, even if means redoing recent work.

There is no way you can import a published site into NoF. Or into any other wysiwyg type web authoring tool. If you can manually edit code, then you could use something like Coffee Cup html editor to edit your site after bringing it down with something like HTTrack (or, for that matter, an ftp program like Filezilla).

If you're not a developer and are therefore limited to wysiwyg drag and drop programs then I'm afraid if you can't regain your site from one of the methods above, you're going to have to re-create it. 98 Pages isn't such a big site and shouldn't take too long as you have all the copy and assets on your published site (see HTTrack comment above). And this time make sure you're saving templates as you go; it doesn't take long and it can save a lot of anguish.