Thread: Image nav bars: Just 2 buttons become 400 buttons, size gets over 1.2 Megabytes!!!

Default Image nav bars: Just 2 buttons become 400 buttons, size gets over 1.2 Megabytes!!!

When a detailed menu is used, image navigation bars produce 100s of images, totaling 100s of megabytes.

I made an image navigation bar on one of my websites, and the menu had around 100 entries.

The problem is... I only used 2 images for the menu: 1 for the primary, and 1 for the secondary (sub) menu. Both around 3 kb.

Now, i was really surprised not only after seeing that NOF produced a png image for each and every menu entry (home, about us, episode guide, season 1, season 2, season 3...), but it also did create 4 duplicates for highlighted, rollover stages etc... But.. i didn't set a different rollover image at all..

Finally, my menu totaled a whopping 1.2 megabytes to load.. My font?? It was verdana.. Why not use just 2 images for the background, and put text on it???????

Someone please explain this to me.
    I am seriously thinking of buying NetObjects, just to tell a few words to those people who doesn't make appropriate tests on the software :-) Guys, there is something called 'page load time', and Google penalize you because of that.. I can't remember how fast I removed this menu right after noticing that 400 menu images and saw that their size total to 1.2 megabytes. It was like a joke!
    Last edited by teasers; 03-11-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Fusion navbars consist of auto-generated images. The button graphics with text merged into the image. So yes, each button and state of that button will have its own image.

I use Likno AllWebMenus with Fusion. Much lighter weight and there's a free Fusion component for adding the menus to your site.

I have a tutorial here: http://www.beyondfusion.com/html/tutorial-awm.php
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Thanks Chuck..

appreciated..