Is this the classic "Read the damn tutorial you fool!" issue? If so, kindly point the way... again, please

I am wondering if there is a way to clear all the formatting in the MLRs to kind of 'reset' them. I tried to right click delete css files in the style view. (there seems to be a css for every tab of every MLR) They go away, but come back when you click page view and go back to style view without editing anything.
What I would like to do is put the settings where I want them in the site.css MLR.css and not have an extra 15-20 css files for each web page. All the settings I'm setting on each MLR are all the same. I don't want to have to edit css code for each and every mlr tab - accordian etc over and over when they are all the same. This seems to defy the whole reason for css. Problem is I can't find the spot for the accordian tab and label settings in the MLR.css.
I tried to add

a.head {
a.head:hover {
a.selected {
a.current {

and the settings from the ...accordian.css file but it didn't seem to effect the accordian 'tabs' and I just got the extra css files anyways.

That's what happens when you get a welder to write your code...