Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: visual lightbox problem - displays thumbnails but not large image

Ray,

That's a really nice site! Love the cut-out logo images - works really well and a lovely clean and crisp looking design. The gallery works very well. I even like the simplicity of your own logo bottom right. Very nice work young man! 9 out of 10.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Gosh, one of the problems with being on the bottom side of the globe is that so much discussion goes on while you're asleep. So let me answer a few of the questions which might help.
    1. Doctype is generated by NoF and is as in Tommy's post except the second statement, "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd" isn't there. Wonder if the document type definition could be the problem?
    2. I always copy everything going in to NoF first into TextPad which is my text editor of choice (other than VI which I haven't used for a while now).
    3. Ray - yes I did download the latest version of VLB but only ater trying the version I already had and which has created at least half a dozen galleries which are running just fine. It's only this one that refuses to run and I cannot for the life of me see why.
    4. I already have a number of VLB galleries running on my server without problem so that seems to rule out server issues. Haven't changed any settings for this site.
    5. I added the VLB body code via CtrlT into a textbox rather than using NoF's code editor. Tried that too, Neither worked except adding it via the code editor put it in the wrong place.
    6. Original site is still in v11. Tried it in v12 but still without success.
    7. As per a previous thread from last year, I also changed the html publishing type thus: Page: Dynamic Page Layout - all browsers, Layout region containing the menu bar: fixed layout and the layout region containing the VLB body code: xhtml. This was all required to get my previous galleries at www.food-photography.com.au working.

Right now I've just updated the flash gallery I already had on this site as I cannot get the VLB site working but of course that means the site cannot be seen on any IPad, iPhone, iPod or other smartphones and that's just suicide these days.

Think NoF had better get this issue sorted soon because I for one have to be able to use JQuery applications for my clients.

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

Ray,

this DOCTYPE does not work with all jQuery applications. The style you selected does work.

Open your page with the "Internet Explorer" and press F12 key. You will see that the IE does use the Quirks-Mode

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirks_mode

instead of the IE-Standard-Mode because the DOCTYPE is not valid. If you would have used the DOCTYPE I have posted, the IE-Standard-Mode would be used.

This might cause a problem with many jQuery applications.
    Last edited by Thomas Frei-Herrmann; 04-06-2011 at 04:07 AM.
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Frei-Herrmann View Post
    Ray,

this DOCTYPE does not work with all jQuery applications. The style you selected does work.

Open your page with the "Internet Explorer" and press F12 key. You will see that the IE does use the Quirks-Mode
    It took me a few minutes, but now I see the "Document Mode" in the menu bar. If I click this and select "IE7 Standards" does that mean that IE will attempt to render using that mode?

I've just tried my BETA site using IE Tester, and it works for all but IE5.5.

If I select "Semantic XHTML" under site options, IE says the Document Mode is now IE8 Standards, but now the Gallery doesn't work.

Frank - could this ^ be your problem?

I guess I'll have to do some reading. I have to confess, I don't understand the whole DOCTYPE thing and it's implications. I've never thought much about it, and any reading I've done makes no sense to my puny little brain.
    Name:  confused-477..gif
Views: 508
Size:  7.7 KB

Googling "DOCTYPE for Dummies" gave me these links, which is a start, I guess.

http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/doctype.html

http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
    Last edited by RayC; 04-06-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Adding links
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    ....Googling "DOCTYPE for Dummies" gave me these links, which is a start, I guess.

http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/doctype.html

http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
    Yeah, I've read several pages on DOCTYPE over the years and I have to confess 99.9% of it just wafts over my head. Would be nice if there was a simple plain English (I'd take a German version too..... Mia, Tommy, Barbara?!?!?) that clearly and easily identifies what is what.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

The simplest explanation (might be too simple and I am sure others will point this out) is that the doctype identifies the the type of code that follows. The code must be recognized as valid by the doctype that is declared. This is why Fusion has a set group of doctypes you can use, Fusion is a code generator and as such creates code that will fit within the doctypes it supports (sort of back wards from what would be normal where the doctype is selected then proper code written to fit that requirement)
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

Hi Mike,

this is what I meant ;-), I guess - I have to work on my "computer" English...
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook

I have another gallery running here. Again, it's running fine. I noticed that I did not use the Fixed Layout publishing option for the nav bar here, but the nav bar still works fine. The layout region containing the gallery is set to Semantic XHTML. Everything appears the same, yet one gallery works, the other doesn't. Both sites are running on the same server under virtual IPs so it's not a server issue. It's got me beat.

Hi Franko,

There are differences. ... Your working site has the script running in the body whereas you failing site has the script in the head.

Just a thought.

Ritch
    NOF 2013: (AU1)......Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1 (Build 7601:SP1)
    Mac OSX 10.8.3.....Parallels Desktop 8 (8.0.18483)
    iMac 27" 2.7 GHz Intel Core 2 i5.....12Gb 1333 Mhz DDR3

Strange - the script has two parts - one that runs in the head and one the gallery script itself which runs in the body. Both were placed in the correct place, the script in the head using the html button and the gallery which was placed using ctrol-t. Unfortunately you won't be able to see the page any more as the client was getting antsy and I've gone back to using a flash gallery. However, I'll continue to try to get VLB working in V12.