Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash not working in IE9

Default Flash not working in IE9

Hi

Total newbie at making sites and my first post.

I have just made my two first sites. They are blank white pages with a small simple flash animated logo so far.

They render fine in Firefox, Chrome, Opera and IE8 but NOT in IE9.

See for yourself here -
    www.hotdot.com.au
    www.telstrix.com

I have IE8 running on some older machines with XP. I have IE9 running on my newer machines with Windows 7 64bit (very good O/S)

IE9 has flash installed and plays other flash logos I have made. I have tested this viewing a website www.1800technology.com

So why are my brand new very first attempts at using NetObjects Fusion 12 failing so miserably?

I have gone to Adobe's website and forced a re-install of Flash Player with IE9 even though already installed and that didn't help.

Obviously you can see the page source for those of you more clued up on that.

Please help.

FYI - Feedback for anyone involved in product development -
    Sometimes I'm smart. Sometimes I'm stupid.
    Sometimes I'm fast. Sometimes I'm slow.
    But it took me five hours of pure frustration reading manuals (didn't help) and playing around to work out how to get rid of the unsuitable Broadcast Blue borders at the top of my new 'blank' site.
    I would have prefered a blank white page or an intuitive pop-up telling me how to change it when I right clicked. I wasted a lot of time playing with MasterBorders to no avail.

I finally worked out I had to go to the Styles Tab. Add a new blank style, make it default and delete the old Broadcast Blue style. I guess my gripe is that I did not find this intuitive but admittedly I am a total newbie at site building and maybe that's supposed to be glaringly obvious. I purchased this program to get things done quickly and easily not to waste hours upon hours changing something I shouldn't have to. For you all that know what to do you may think I made a simple mistake and that may be true but I hate wasting time and I expected this to be easy and intuitive and it was not. I like idiot proof (highly intuitive) apps if such a thing is possible.

Also - is there an easy way to assign a favicon in the program as an asset or do I have to upload it manually via separate FTP?

Cheers and thanks for any help

Sean
    Last edited by zenorb; 04-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Default Does anyone else have IE9?

Hi

I have only three machines running IE9. Two Windows 7 Ultimate, One Windows 7 Home Premium. All 64 bit SP 1.

None of them play the NetObject pages with Flash logos on the new sites.

If anyone other forum members have IE9 please kindly reply and tell me if the flash works (or confirm it doesn't) in your IE9 browsers. As stated earlier all other browsers appear OK.

Additionally - Is anyone clever enough at HTML code to tell why NetObjects pages seem to yield non-performing code in IE9? Please comment if able.

This would seem to me to be a problem requiring NetObjects to update or fix their program.

Does anyone agree?

Surely we want pages working on the soon to be most popular browser by the biggest desktop O/S manufacturer in the world. Or have I made a mistake?

Cheers
    S

I think the title should read
    IE9 not working

rather than Flash not working in IE9.

Sorry to be flippant but [a] I became a grand father this afternoon, [b] I loathe all versions of Internet Explorer, [c] you would have thought Microsoft would have managed to get their browser working in 9 attempts but they still do things their way! and [d] sorry this doesn't help you at all but I'm a granddad today, so I don't care...at the moment!

I'll revisit this post later when I'm back to normal!
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Totally OT
    @ Paul
    Congratulations.

And Toppic:

I agree so far that we cannot be expected to change all our website because Billy has thrown a new browser onto the market.
    The beta was a catastrophy, and the new release will be never installed on my PC.

There is a good reason why all the other browsers are attracting more and more users.
    FF is actually the most popular browser in Germany by now.
    I´m a Firefoxer of the first days.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Quote Originally Posted by Adendum View Post
    you would have thought Microsoft would have managed to get their browser working in 9 attempts but they still do things their way!
    I uninstalled IE9 after discovering they redo how interactive menus work on ALL applications previously installed, namely ... in NOF 11 if you try to move a toolbar, it will crash. Now WTF does that have to do with web surfing MS?
    I also notice how the Adobe products have ultimate control over their menu systems, over riding whatever MS wants to do with them. I think MS can expect more people to follow suit.

@Mia, thanks sweetie.
    I use FF for all day to day use and I design for FF and use FF with Firebug to find out what I did wrong in NOF. Sadly I then spend twice as much time to modify a site so it looks the same in IE - and 99% of the time the differences are HUGE! I also like Chrome. Safari is a bit clunky for my liking and Opera is fast but I don't like it.

@Beach
    I discarded IE9 too. In and out in under 15 minutes. But sadly I guess we will all have to make massive allowances so our site work with it because the majority of PC users don't know better and they accept what ever browser comes with their MS kit.

@zenorb
    OK, I'm serious now
    As you can see I don't use IE9 but I do use IE Tester and that loads a page in all versions from 5.5 to 9. I have Debug Bar installed in IE8 (http://www.debugbar.com/) and that initiates IE Tester. I opened your hotspot page in IE and ran the IE Tester on all pages and they all worked OK.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

a rural property North of Melbourne, Australia

Default IE9 does not like ./ Paths for site files.

Hi Zenorb,

Had a look at your sites NICE blank pages in IE9 so looked at source all path references to your files start with ./ which IE9 can not cope with for some reason and I am not sure why Fusion 12 is using them in the path or if there is an option to stop this. If you put full path in IE9 http://www.telstrix.com/telstrix_ip_telephony.swf then IE9 will display the flash animation OK. But a full page not sized.

As all your CSS & Flash stuff is in the root of your site you don't need the ./ or / to precede the files for Some reason IE9 is stuffed and not Fusion!

I have just done another test using Fusion 11 created a website and published local all Ok then I added a flash Calendar and in IE9 it does not show the flash but text is ok. In Chrome its there OK. So I edited the page and removed the ./ from the flash lines still no calendar, But at bottom of page IE9 asked me if I wanted to view content (can't remember message) so I clicked yes and calendar was visible. So for some reason IE9 Flash control is inhibited by the ./ I then re-edited page & put back the ./ and calendar did not show! So its some permission issue I have latest flash plug in.

I do not have fusion 12 yet just 11 and was about to update and scanned forum to find your issue, thank's for reporting. I will now check to see if any of my non-fusion pages use ./

I have run the IE9 debugger and it does not like the "jmedia.js," line 335 character 9 this is where the IE browser check is made and things are done to accommodate IE no idea how this bit of code works but this is the line 335 code var o = document.createElement(a.join('')); This gets highlighted in Yellow. I guess the Fusion team will need to look at this code and maybe it is a real error that the other browsers ignore?

Tony.
    Last edited by echoshack; 04-16-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: More info

Default Flash not working ----more tests

Done some more testing. Now I only have Fusion 11 and it looks like flash is handled in a different way. But using original post it uses jmedia.js this is early version and a much later version is available from authors site which you will find in the header comments of this file.

The message which I mentioned before that shows up in IE9 says something like "enable blocked content". It only shows for a few seconds at bottom of browser page once clicked YES it shows the flash. If you refresh page it does not show message again!

If you miss the message then I have no idea how to bring it back. I have looked through options of IE9 but could not find which one to change. Mind you mine is installed with the default options like 99% of other users we do not want to change unclear options. I am not sure if you can have "alternate txt" text in place of the flash if so this could give a useful message.

Any way this is one for Fusion team to look at and needs to be fixed.

If I am correct Apple iPod etc does not support flash so why would you use it these days for sites we want people to access from mobile phones as not all devices will display it. It has made me think about not using flash. HTML 5 supports video so maybe that's the way to go ar la Fusion 13?

Tony

Hi,
    Just did fresh install of win7 & IE9. Flash will only display on the 2 Fusion sites mentioned above if you click the 'Compability view button" in fact IE9 will not download the Adobe Flash plugin until you do this!
    With most Mobile devices not support flash it asks the question why would you put it on any website that want's lots of visitors? Much the same for Silverlight.

If anyone has the time to work through the IE9 options to find the one to enable flash as presented by Fusion, please post here.

Tony

Hi Zenorb,

While I was going through NOF12 and getting acquainted with it I’ve run across the same issue with Flash not working in IE9. I’ve submitted a ticket to tech support and this was their reply.

Unfortunately, at this time NetObjects Fusion is not yet fully compatible with Internet Explorer 9. We are currently working on an update which should fix this problem but until then we would kindly ask you to revert your system back to Internet Explorer 8.

I wrote back that I could revert my system back to IE8, but I can’t control what browsers my visitors use, and did they have an ETA for a fix. This was their response.

Unfortunately not at this time, but we are working hard on the Update 1 foer (should be “for” but I’ve left their typo as it was sent) NetObjects Fusion XII and we hope that we can release it very soon.

So I don’t know how long very soon will be hopefully not long. In the mean time I’ve found a workaround to force IE into compatibility mode which will play NOF12 Flash objects. Place

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=IE8" />

into the MasterBorder Properties HTML tag at the very beginning by clicking the first button at the upper left which says “FileStart” if you hover you mouse over it. If it’s not placed at the beginning it will not work. The only problem that I’ve found with using this workaround is IE will ignore “Center In Browser” and force the page left justified in all versions of IE not just 9. If you don’t have a problem with left justification or you need a working option now it’s for you.

T.J.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot..jpg 
Views:	684 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	922