Thread: alignment of header and body

Default alignment of header and body

In NOF12 everything looks great but in preview or after publishing the body of my pages does not align vertically with my page headers. The bodies appear to be about 4 pixels to the left. All of my pages are set at the same width as the header and start ta 0 left margin and I have "center in browser" checked on all layouts. I don't have any borders and only a 2 pixel pad at the top and bottom of the header and body.

Can you post a link ?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Yes. My site is www.wtilden.net

I figured out the problem but can't figure out how to fix it. The misalignment between the header and the body is because I use a top autoframe so that the header always shows (main menu navbar) on all pages and when the page body is too long the scrolling bar for the page body is inserted. Because of that the body centers in the space remaing from the width of the page less the width of the scrolling bar but the header does not move at all. Thus the body aligns left of the header. Any ideas? I don't want to put a main menu navbar on every page!! Thanks.

I fixed it by adding a left frame with 0 width.

I buit another site with NOF 12 and ran into the same Master Border Header andLayout alingnment problem It appears to me that when the page is longer than the scrren and the browser scroll bar kcics in theLayout aligns center in the sapace left (the screen width less the scroll bar width) but the Master Border Header remains centered in the entire screen thus misaligning the header and the body. I have tried every possible combination of frames, frame scrolling, margin padding, etc. with no success. Anybody have any ideas? They need the "center in browser" option check box for the Master Border like they have for theLayout!! I have not been successful in contacting Netobjects technical support either.

This does not directly address your problems, but I have to provide three small pieces of friendly advice:
    1. For the past several years, the trend has been away from the use of frames for several reasons. Yes, it means the banner will scroll of the screen, but that doesn't seem to worry these masters of branding. While searchability and SEO may not be a primary concern for a personal site like this, there is still the possibility someone could arrive at your site through a search engine like this: http://www.wtilden.net/My-House/body_my-house.html. Is that better or worse than having the top banner and navigation scrolled off the top?
    2. The use of music on a site or page with no user option to turn it off is considered bad form. Site visitors must have the option.
    3. There also might be some legal issues with using music without permission from the appropriate licensing bodies.

These are all common web design principles that you might want to consider.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Default Master Border and Layout misalignment

I use the Master Border Frame to give the visitors options that will keep them from getting lost in the site, so no, I don't want the top frame to scroll away. As far as the music goes, I limit the music I use on a few pages to a short clip appropriate to the individual page with no looping and I have received many compliments on it. Insofar as the misalignment of the Header and Layout when the Layout exceeds the length of the screen is concerned, I solved the problem by adding 15 pixels to the width of the Layout and moving the Layout to the right while leaving the top Master Border in place. This centers the Layout under the Master Border Frame (at least in my IE9 browser) by compensating for the use of the browser scroll bar in the body of the Layout.

Ian

Default Re: alignment of header and body

Couldn't you run with scrolling layout region, Static background so the page
    stays still and the surfer scrolls within the layout region instead of
    scrolling the page with the browser?

Ian

"wtilden" wrote in message
    news:wtilden.4s7apv@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com...

I use the Master Border Frame to give the visitors options that will
    keep them from getting lost in the site, so no, I don't want the top
    frame to scroll away. As far as the music goes, I limit the music I use
    on a few pages to a short clip appropriate to the individual page with
    no looping and I have received many compliments on it. Insofar as the
    misalignment of the Header and Layout when the Layout exceeds the length
    of the screen is concerned, I solved the problem by adding 15 pixels to
    the width of the Layout and moving the Layout to the right while leaving
    the top Master Border in place. This centers the Layout under the
    Master Border Frame (at least in my IE9 browser) by compensating for the
    use of the browser scroll bar in the body of the Layout.