Thread: ASP or PHP Scripts When Publishing NOF 12 Website?

Red face ASP or PHP Scripts When Publishing NOF 12 Website?

This question is prompted by the question of whether to use Dynamic or Fixed Page Layout. What are the preferred site generation scripts using NOF 12? ASP or PHP? Go to Tools/Options/Current Site and select Site Generation/Scripts. What's the best choice - ASP or PHP? I use a Windows virtual private server that accepts ASP or PHP, and I use some survey and polling software within NOF that uses ASP. So should I use ASP scripts in publishing the whole website. Are there problems in publishing a website using PHP scripts if polling questions using ASP are included in NOF sites? Any insights or experiences much appreciated.

You need to pick one scripting language to use.

If you're using non-Fusion generated ASP scripts in the site, then use ASP exclusively.

No reason to try to use both and have to manage different page file extensions.

You can't have PHP and ASP code on the same page.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Thanks chuckj. I think this is an important note, then, for users of NOF to know — that you get the choice in NOF of whether to publish a site using ASP or PHP. I do not believe there is this choice in authoring programs such as Wysiwyg Web Builder that people in these forums seem to like. In fact, in Wysiwyg Web Builder, there are many references to the uses of PHP, though no mention of ASP that I can see. The same with some other popular web authoring programs. At least NOF, in many places, lets you know what you are doing and gives you a choice. For my purposes, I believe ASP is better since it provides more opportunities for interactions.

Whereas I program exclusively in PHP.

Both are very capable scripting languages, as is ColdFusion.

PHP use is probably the most widespread. ASP is almost always found only on Windows servers.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums