Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Searchable Member Directory

JWebStuff

Default Re: Searchable Member Directory

It's probably overkill, but could a zip-code locator program work for what
    you need? I believe they're made for store listings, but I used one for a
    speaker directory a while back Take a look at phpDealerLocator
    (www.yourphppro.com). They have a free version for up to 100 entries and
    then different levels and prices depending on what you need.
    Hope this helps.
    Janice

"onholdpro" <onholdpro.4u7nlg@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> wrote in message
    newsnholdpro.4u7nlg@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com...
    >
    > While the 4D program looks to be good, we do not have 700+ in the budget
    > for this single site project. Is anyone aware of similar options at
    > lower cost? Thanks
    >
    >

Buy the standard edition for $146, it only allows you to publish to 1 domain, but does everything else the Pro version does

Buy the standard edition for $146, it only allows you to publish to 1 domain, but does everything else the Pro version does
    ...except write to a MySQL database which is pretty damn important with a dynamic site. And if you want a static site, you can just use NoF (or any other html creator/editor).

Neither can you create components, although that's probably not a biggie for most people. It does seem rather silly to pay $150 a time for each individual web site but I for one cannot afford to spend $700+ for an open licence as many of my web sites are pro bono or contra.

...except write to a MySQL database which is pretty damn important with a dynamic site.
    Hi Franko,

Its a matter of horses for courses. The basic version (and Pro) write to a csv file by default, but obviously using a mySQL database speeds things up for a bigger site.

Here is one I'm working on now, we will only have 6 or 7 products, so I will leave it as a csv file until the customer base grows beyond 100 or so.

www.velvet.flair.net.nz (still prototyping)

Cheers

david

Nice site David. There are a few things I really like about it. Question - what was done in NoF and which 4D bits? I'm trying to get my head around what I would need it for and what I wouldn't. I haven't really found anything I can't do at the moment with NoF and accessory programs such as Miva and ZenCart for eCommerce and SnippetMaster and Cushy for CMS?

Hi Franko,

The site is done with NoF, using a XII Site Style. The purchase section is simply a drag n drop component from 4D, but it handles everything, from the catalogue, shopping cart, interface to payPal (or other payment gateway). 4D will also store the customer details and past purchases. The log on box on Home page is from 4D, and the access level will be set accoring to the user type.

Currently there is no CMS on this site, except the product catalogue, but 4D can be used to make any content user manageble - all I do is select the area to manage, give it a name and done. I can have all sorts of user levels, so maybe there are some parts of the site one user can edit, but not the others, for example, the owner may wish to keep control of products, but is happy to have page content edited by staff. I can also serve different content to differnt user groups, so this makes member only areas a breeze. Not only that, but content can be set up with a start and finish date/time, so I can create next week's special offer today, but not have it appear until next Monday, then it can be set to auto vanish, say Friday, or whenever the special ends. This is great for sale items, special announcements, seminars, etc.

I know there is a big $Cost, and a learning curve, but for me it means I only need to know NoF and 4D to do just about anything I need - no need for zencart, Cushy etc.

So, to summaries

Design in NoF then drag the appropriate components from 4D to the NoF page(s), publish and done.

Franko,

I looked at 4D too. As well as a trial period the owner will organise an online demo with you and talk you through and demonstrate the process ON YOUR COMPUTER using one of your NOF sites. Very clever stuff.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Hi Paul (and Franko),

Yes, I should have mentioned that the support is superb. The forum is now dead, but kept as an archive resourse, due to spam, but Chris will respond to email queries.

When I was working with 4D a few years back and still learning it, I had trouble with a concept, Chris logged on to my PC and showed me exactly how to achieve my need.

Some time back I put up a demo site of 4D working on NoF, I'll try to locate the files and put it up again for folks to see.

And, although Softidiom offer hosting, you don't need it, all my sites are hosted on 'Nix servers at Hostgator.

Sorry to bump this up guys but roughly, how much does it cost to set something up like this?