Thread: Pop-up windows in IE9 under Windows 7 x64

Default Pop-up windows in IE9 under Windows 7 x64

I have noticed that the pop-up windows which are designed to display photos of the rooms in an apartment (you click on a room on the floor plan to see a pop-up photo of the room) no longer work correctly in IE9. In IE8 and other browsers you get to see the picture but in IE9 you get a fixed sized window which displays the top left hand corner of a new instance of IE9 (i.e you see the top of the favourites listing, if that is how you have IE set up) but no photo. If you hover over the IE9 icon on the task bar you can see the mini window display which includes just the left hand side of the expected photo. The pop-up window has the correct file name/URL for the photo displayed in the title bar of the window so IE9 clearly knows what is supposed to be displayed in the window - it just doesn't actualy show it. The URL for the site for which I am having this problem is www.thuirvcances.eu. I have tried the same test on another PC with Windows 7/IE9 and get the same problem, but it only seems to happen in IE9 as far as I can see - previous versions or other browsers don't display this problem. Anybody got any ideas on this one?

Given that it's an IE9 problem (have you tried the windows forums to see if anyone has a solution?) I'd suggest you have two options. 1. Redo your site so that it works in IE9 (at the moment, Bill might change things again in his efforts at world domination) or 2. put up with IE9's non-standard vagaries and accept that perfectly well coded web sites often don't work in Bill's browsers. Been that was since IE first came out oafter Bill's 'Road to Damascus" conversion back in '95-ish.

I have indeed posted to a couple of user forums. This problem with pop-up windows seems to be caused by the use of IE9. Many people seem to be experiencing a number of similar or different problems since downloading IE9. I even had to downlaod Google Chrome to post on the Microsoft Answers forum because IE9 would not allow me to post my comments, as the buttons did not work in IE9! I think the only question now is how long before Microsoft holds up its collective hands and fixes the problem.

It has been fixed. The fix is called IE 8 and you've had it all along

To fix IE 9 you have to use control panel > add/remove/uninstall software...

On the left side bar click the text link "View installed updates"

Find IE9 in the list of updates and uninstall it.

Your old friend IE 8 will magically reappear and all of your problems will go away.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Yes indeed I can do that, but I am not so much concerned about fixing what I see (I now know that there is a problem with IE9, so can use a different browser to see that all is well) but what other visitors to my web site will see. They will not necessarily know that the problem is with their browser (i.e. IE9) and not with my web site. That's why it's important that the IE9 problem is fixed. However I don't think Microft is yet prepared to acknowledge that there are some problems with IE9, amongst which is the pop-up window problem.