Thread: Fusion 11 - Problems suggestions frustrations

Default Fusion 11 - Problems suggestions frustrations

I decided to stick to fusion 11 for a while until I fix the major issues that have been ongoing since fusion 7 - so starting with my first problem, never addressed:

I never could get the E-Commerce working so I have a single page for each item I am selling. I've spit my website into 2, 3, 5, 8 peices to be able to circumvate the issue of having so many pages but with fusion 11 was (temporarily) able to combine the site again and be a happy camper. (This did not last very long and its getting worse)

Now with my site split into 2 on a core i7 920 with 6 gigs ram it takes 10 - 20 to edit a page!

The website has over 1300 pages, any obvious solutions?

MY SOLUTIONS THUSFAR:

1) Break up site into smaller sections, most recetly 500 pages per section
    2) Run Re-optimize
    3) Page editing improves to 1-2 minutes a page to load

Drawbacks - Fusion has hang ups, organization issues, Page corruption issues, sometimes it takes up to 30+ minutes for re-optimize to complete, tied down resources

Duftopia

I took a site that had about the same number of pages and am running it out of a database now. It takes 12 pages to display and run the full admin of the site. Much nicer as everything is run via a web browser and admin page on the server.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Hi,

When I read this, I wondered if the problem was in NoF or if it was you. Now I've looked at your site, I can see the problem is you.

You are attempting to bend NoF to do somthing it cannot do.

I could recreate your site, and by using a databse solution for the products, cut the number of pages to a handfull, mamking the site easier to maintain, faster to load and simpler for your visitors to navigate.

What would you use SQL server!, could the database features of NOF suffice to product a similar result?

I grew INTO NOF from way way back when it was the cheapest and best and I still have a small number of clients that run small sites using NOF, but all my big clients are now less colorfull but more database orientated.

What would you guys charge to convert and would I still be in the NOF realm?

Duftopia

Quote Originally Posted by Duftopia View Post
    What would you use SQL server!, could the database features of NOF suffice to product a similar result?

I grew INTO NOF from way way back when it was the cheapest and best and I still have a small number of clients that run small sites using NOF, but all my big clients are now less colorfull but more database orientated.

What would you guys charge to convert and would I still be in the NOF realm?

Duftopia
    You would use what ever your web host provides. Most provide MySQL some will also offer MS SQL Server along with MySQL

Write your queries and displays using a standard editor. Believe it or not I use notepad for most of this process myself as there are rarely more than 10-15 lines of code per module. You can use Fusion to creates the display and admin pages. The modules should be separate files and called into Fusion using an include statement. Once you have the display and admin pages finished you would use a web browser to run and display the database in the the dozen of so pages you wrote in Fusion.

I am sure you could find someone to do all of this for you as it is very common grunt work. You could even provide the display pages and only contract for the dynamic coding which would help you out and keep you in control over the actual appearance of the web site pages.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Thanks, I just did not want to go into the issues involved in learning another computer languages and the nuances. I was hoping that fusion would grow into a full blown website manager like other programs.

I got accustomed to Fusion and its features which I like allot just don't like the bugs and limitations involved.

html is programming. As simple as it is, it is still basically programming.

Fusion is a code generator. it will write code based on input made in the GUI.

If you need "custom coding" you will have to do it or pay someone to do it for you.

I know of no known code generator that will write custom code for you.... NONE....

If you can live with simple html pages you have selected a very good program to write your simple html pages. If you need advanced functions, there is no choice except learn or pay. Sorry no magic bullet today.

I have basic, C, C++, Perl and a dozen shell programs under my belt but I really didn't want to putz with writing a db from scratch, I was hoping fusion grew up into a full fledged system that could handle the issue.

I use perl with my unix clients and dreamweaver with all the disenchanted of fusion clients that and webeasy, hotdog etc...

I huess I wil have to bite the bullet and find someway to hybrid fusion with some DB to get better results.

Thanks
    Duf

http://www.beyondfusion.com/html/phptutorials.php

Some tutorials on using Fusion with PHP and MySQL.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Cool Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    http://www.beyondfusion.com/html/phptutorials.php

Some tutorials on using Fusion with PHP and MySQL.
    I really have to thank you guys for trying to help, I was hopeing the fusion people would get there e-commerce and DB structures working and I would not have to play the split the website shuffle or run SQL but I am now looking into it, also someone finally published a fusion book that got me into the new region formatted website and hopefully that avenue will expand as well.

I think I am actually going to delve into PHP (I am totally blank on that) and maybe learn another useful language.

Again Thanks (Chuck and Mike)

ps: Mike - (turtle) are you michael tuttle, I knew someone who became a cop with that name from highschool?