Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surreal V4 ???

Default Surreal V4 ???

After finally taking the plunge and adding surreal client support to a site - they change the free version of their service. WHAT???

Now, I get to GO BACK to the client and explain that now it will be an additional $10 a month... and that is me making nothing more!

Any other CMS options that works as well as this? Not sure client is willing to add to the bill...

I cannot say it often enough - 4D Site Designer - so many features to add to your NoF site, including CMS, but that is only a fraction of its capability.

It plays well with NoF, you buy it once and use it on as many sites as you like. They even have tutorials to help you understand the links between NoF and 4D.

Or, for a fee, I can add 4D functionality to a NoF site.

HTH

Snippetmaster, it's much cheaper. I agree with my kiwi mate re 4D Site Designer but at around $800 it's out of my pocket. If you make enough dosh to justify the cost then go for it. Otherwise Snippetmaster is a reasonable alternative to Surreal or Cushy (and it runs on your server, not theirs).

The other alternative which I've started to use is to install wordpress and use artisteer for the initial design work.

Yes, I've been playing with WP and Artisteer, and sometimes use artisteer to spark the creative ideas. Now, if it would just play well with NoF...

As for the price of 4D, there is now an option to subscribe at $30 a month, you get all the updates included and can still use it on as many sites as you like.

Thanks for the suggestions - except my internet security software is blocking http://www.softidiom.com/

VIPRE has determined that the site you are trying to visit contains potentially harmful or objectionable content.

To proceed to this site: In VIPRE, open "File/Settings/Firewall" and add the URL to "Bad Web Site Exceptions..."

ANYONE know why this site would be blocked out of the gate - or is this a false positive??

Gotta be a false positive, I have used 4D for five years and know that Chris and his team are very genuine. I have no trouble getting to the site ATM.

You can get a full working 30 day version of 4D to test it out. It will do everything the paid version does, except publish to a remote server; it does come with its own server software so you can publish and fully test on your local machine.

CushyCMS still has free accounts and works exactly like SurealCMS does

http://www.cushycms.com/en
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

This is why I prefer server installed scripts.

Otherwise you're at the whim of bad business models that put these sorts of companies out of business, or an unanticipated change in their pricing model.

The only scripts I reference remotely are Google scripts. Even then, I don't trust 'em.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

For simple applications, you really can build a server installed solution yourself. Here's one that I made http://www.abramsnet.com/lbacms/

Quote Originally Posted by kspoor View Post
    After finally taking the plunge and adding surreal client support to a site - they change the free version of their service. WHAT???

Now, I get to GO BACK to the client and explain that now it will be an additional $10 a month... and that is me making nothing more!

Any other CMS options that works as well as this? Not sure client is willing to add to the bill...
    Hi, Cory here from Surreal.

For what it's worth, we were happy to offer our free plan for over three years. It was a tough decision, but I'm sure most of our users would prefer that we find sustainability than go out of business altogether. Overall, the announcement was well-received by our community, especially the 65% of our pro users who now pay LESS than what they've been paying all along. Furthermore, we've opened up all of our features to all levels of service, including the lowest level.

While I appreciate that we're living in an economically difficult time, any serious designer should be able to afford $10 a month for up to five clients. If you think about it, it's actually a small price to pay for a value-added service...much less than what the average person pays per month for Internet service.

If you haven't tried V4 yet, give it a spin. You might just find that there's more value in the service than you'd actually be paying for

Cheers,
    Cory