Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting to my hosting company Netfirms

Angry Posting to my hosting company Netfirms

Hi,

I have used the hosting company Netfirms since I purchased and built my website using Netobjects Fusion 8 almost 4 years ago. Up until last week I had no problems but now that Netfirms has changed platforms for hosting I no longer can no long publish updates to the web. I have received some correspondents from Netfirms and they say I need to have Netobjects point my website to ns1.netfirms.com and ns2.netfirms.com because if my domain is pointing to the wrong servers my clients will be viewing an older version of my website which they currently are.

I need help immediately because my business sales are suffering.

Thank you

Sounds like you have the version of Fusion that's handed out by Netfirms.

As such, the program is hard-coded to publish only to the server that Netfirms designated to NetObjects.

There's nothing NetObjects can do to correct this.

The problem needs to be addressed by Netfirms.

Your alternative is to actually buy Fusion. The retail version lets you publish anywhere.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Hi Chuckj,

Thank you for getting back to me. Do you know if I was to purchase the retail Fusion version and updated my Netobjects 8 if I would have to create my entire website over or would it just update my software and keep my website as is?

Quote Originally Posted by zx6r_chick View Post
    Hi Chuckj,

Thank you for getting back to me. Do you know if I was to purchase the retail Fusion version and updated my Netobjects 8 if I would have to create my entire website over or would it just update my software and keep my website as is?
    Can you export to template in your proprietary version? See this gotFusion tutorial for details: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

If you can export to template you can import the template into any later version of the product. If you can't export to template you may be stuck rebuilding from scratch if you cannot move and open the exiting data file in a later version.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I checked and I do have the option to export to template in my Netobjects Fusion 8. I tried doing this with one of my very old sites I created for fun long time ago that was still in my recent sites and it seemed to have worked. It created a zip file which I extracted and then opened the template and it worked.

When you talk about purchasing the retail version of Netobjects do you mean via their internet site or at a local computer and office store such as Office Depot or Staples?

p.s. everyone has been a great help thus far

The zip file is the template.

When you use it to create a new version of Fusion, you don't unzip it first.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I checked and I do have the option to export to template in my Netobjects Fusion 8. I tried doing this with one of my very old sites I created for fun long time ago that was still in my recent sites and it seemed to have worked. It created a zip file which I extracted and then opened the template and it worked.
    The next tutorial in the series covers the proper way to start a new site project from the exported template

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17

When you talk about purchasing the retail version of Netobjects do you mean via their internet site or at a local computer and office store such as Office Depot or Staples?

p.s. everyone has been a great help thus far
    You can purchase the product through any outlet (online or brick and mortar shop if you can find one that carries Fusion). You can purchase through any of the VARs such as myself. Since you have a previous version you should be able to purchase the upgrade rather than the full version which will save you a little money. If your netfirms version is not recognized during the upgrade install you can download and install Fusion essentials (free product) which is recognized as a valid upgrade path. You cannot use Fusion essentials with your exported template as you have version 8 and essentials is version 7.5 and Netobjects Fusion is NOT backward compatible (i.e. you can't go back any versions with projects, ONLY forward to later versions)
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I have the same problem. I have used Netfirms for many years, and after migrating to the new platform they no longer recognize .nod files. I was told to go online and look for a file extracting software to convert my files. Does the version XII save files as .nod files also? Does anyone know of a GOOD web hosting company that accepts sites built with NetObjects? I am not a web designer, that's why I loved the NetObjects, it does all the work for you.

Thanks for any help given.

No web host "recognizes" nod files. A nod file is a database containing your site elements that Fusion uses internally.

When you publish, Fusion generates html files like any other web design program.

With a non-Netfirms version of Fusion, you can publish your site to Netfirms (although I'd find a new host if I were you) or any other web host.

Get Fusion XII, get a new host and you'll be fine.

We sell hosting at www.awavedomains.com (GoDaddy reseller) or you can go anywhere for hosting.

Whoever at Netfirms is telling you this about nod files is clueless.
    Last edited by chuckj; 06-27-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    Tutorials and Forums

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    No web host "recognizes" nod files. A nod file is a database containing your site elements that Fusion uses internally.

When you publish, Fusion generates html files like any other web design program.

With a non-Netfirms version of Fusion, you can publish your site to Netfirms (although I'd find a new host if I were you) or any other web host.

Get Fusion XII, get a new host and you'll be fine.

We sell hosting at www.awavedomains.com (GoDaddy reseller) or you can go anywhere for hosting.

Whoever at Netfirms is telling you this about nod files is clueless.
    Thank you so much. I will check it out.