Thread: How do you stop page links jumping to top of a linked page?

Default How do you stop page links jumping to top of a linked page?

Hello,
    I have been trying to create a image gallery within my site by putting a largeish image on each separate web page and two links 'previous' and 'next' above it linking to the images on the subsequent and precedent pages. After I completed this, I noticed the problem that, rather than take me directly to the next image, the link would take me to the head of the webpage which would cause the viewer the necessity of scrolling down to centre the image in his browser again, which is not the effect I wanted. To overcome this problem, I put anchor points between the 'previous' and 'next' links above each image and linked each page to the anchor point on the next rather than the page in general. This seemed to almost do the trick, but the problem now is that, with each click on the link, before taking the viewer to the image, there is short jolt in which the page header is viewed in a split second and overall effect is not a smooth, professional transition from image to image, but a sort of bumpy ride with this irritating jolting effect. I presume this is because Fusion automatically goes first to the page header then down to the anchor point, albiet very quickly. But not quick enough, in that it is still noticeable. Upon investigating the kind of image gallery I aim for on other sites, I notice that, on them, one can move the browser to frame the image and any link to subsequent pages will hold the browser in that same position one has set it at on the next page. Fusion seems not to do this but always goes to the top of the page. What I would like to know then, is, is it in any way possible to make it that Fusion will also do this trick with the browser, so that one can scroll down to and frame an image and then move to the next page without it leaping to the top again, and without having to use anchor points which jump in the way mentioned. I do not use the web gallery tool within fusion because I have a problem with it continually crashing on me whenever I try to, losing all the work i have done up to that point. Also I do not like the overall appearance/layout of it and how it limits me from such things as putting links in the text that appears next to the image. Hence I have done things this customised way. Thanks in advance for any help.

Little more info... URL of the site? Is it personal site (personal pics) or business site (commercial contented)?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks for the quick response. There is no URL because the site is still under construction. I am an artist and the site is for displaying my paintings which I sell so its both personal and business. I already have an existing site in which images are displayed in a different way, and I am hoping to replace that with this new one. In that thumbnails are expanded by a 'file link' to the larger image. In this new one, I want to be able to move, smoothly, form large image to large image, which, as said, I have tried to do by putting them each on their own page with an accompanying link to the next large image.

Maybe Magic Zoom Plus is an option? http://www.magictoolbox.com/magiczoo...FYob4QodimADMA
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Thanks for that link and your help. Not so much magiczoom but magicthumb on the same link looks like it might be suitable. The intergration seems to involves lots of code though and I'm not so familiar with using that, which is why I got Fusion a WYSIWYG sort of program. But maybe I'll give it a go. I also had the idea maybe if I delete my masterborder I could move the images to near the top of each page anyhow so leaping wouldn't be a problem. A lot of work though. I found this site as an example of one where the browser seems to stay at the same position as you progess through each page: http://www.gerymac.com/photo_7470407...tos_id=7642564 Just wish I knew how to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
    Thanks for that link and your help. Not so much magiczoom but magicthumb on the same link looks like it might be suitable. The intergration seems to involves lots of code though and I'm not so familiar with using that, which is why I got Fusion a WYSIWYG sort of program. But maybe I'll give it a go. I also had the idea maybe if I delete my masterborder I could move the images to near the top of each page anyhow so leaping wouldn't be a problem. A lot of work though. I found this site as an example of one where the browser seems to stay at the same position as you progess through each page: http://www.gerymac.com/photo_7470407...tos_id=7642564 Just wish I knew how to do that!
    Seems like you are looking for some kind of lightbox then. In NOF you could use a variety of options but all will require some effort but it's all do-able. In WYSIWYG Web Builder there are several extensions that make this process very easy. The gerrymac example is custom scripts using jQuery which is again do-able in NOF or WYSIWYG Web Builder but some understanding of Javascript / jQuery would be needed. Try searching this Forum for "lightbox" and maybe Goggle it as well.

A simple but more cumbersome method would be to create a series of thumbnail images yourself and then link those to the larger images that are actually individual borderless pages. Click the thumbnail and the larger image (a page) is called into an iFrame. So, for example, click on thumb1 and set the link to open with a target of your iFrame name and the iFrame opens the page containing Image1. Everything would remain static and in the same position and all you need to do is ensure you manage the size of the iFrame so it fits the largest image. In WB7 there is an extension that auto expands an iFrame.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Here's an example where thumbs link to an iFrame - there are 40 thumbs, so 40 separate pages were created but they only get seen as part of the page you are on. Click link to see.
    Last edited by Adendum; 06-23-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added link example
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Sorry for delay in replying but been away camping in Somerset. Thanks for the advice. A lightbox is, more or less, what I'm looking for I just didn't know it was called a lightbox. I'll try and add one some time in the future. In the meantime I moved the images nearer to the top of the page and though it still leaps, it isn't so bad as previously. Thanks for all the help.