Thread: Yet another thread about centering...

Default Yet another thread about centering...

I apologise in advance for raising this issue after so many others have already done so, but I have spent hours trying out the various solutions provided in existing threads and nothing seems to help, although I'd be the first to admit that I'm not a technical expert and that some of the more technical advice goes over my head.

My site is www.cambridgefundingsolutions.co.uk and I'm basically happy with it but would like it to be centered. I've tried various ways of doing this and most methods work except that the two vertical black bars on the left and right won't budge - see http://www.cambridgefundingsolutions...Test/test.html. How can I get these two bars to join the other elements of the page, so that everything is centered?

For completeness: I've tried ticking the "center in browser" box with and without selecting dynamic page layout; followed the instructions in the www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4044 tutorial; and followed instructions that I found somewhere for creating a border around the whole page, all to no avail. I haven 't tried EZRound because I feel it ought to be something that NOF can handle by itself. Am I wrong?

Hello Webapprentice,

the trouble is the background image will not center with your html-page. The image's settings are defined in the style.css. The image now sticks to the left and repeats itself indefinitely to the right, because it was the way it was defined in the site style you are using (default setting = image repeats vertically and horizontally).

Here is your background image:

http://www.cambridgefundingsolutions...Background.gif

If you want the image to be centered you will have to define it to repeat only vertically, position centered. Try it. Otherwise you have the following two viable options:

a. remove the image and only use a background colour
    b. replace the image through your own.

You will find the settings in style view > styles > body > background.

Default Almost there...

Hello barbara0701,

Thank you very much for your very helpful response . I changed the style settings, which basically did the trick although I now have some trouble with two of my pages, where the black background image is offset somewhat to the left, right below the banner - see http://www.cambridgefundingsolutions...ants_news.html and compare it to the home page. I've compared lots of settings but can't put my finger on what's causing this. Do you have the answer?

Default Here Too

@webapprentice - Same issues here - and my tips may not be the correct ones but it seems to be a work-around. If anyone else has a better approach please advise.

I find, esp. in FireFox that for centering to work, I have to set the widths of elements on the page body to be the full size of the page width. For example, if the page is 800px then the table or text box has to be 800 px.
    Once set, I use CSS selectors to indent or pad or set the margin so the element is not flush up to the edge of the page. I'm still working that part out.
    And as posted else where, adding a <div align="center"> in the start of body HTML & a </div> at the end of body is necessary as well.

Good Luck & post results.

Default Giving up

Thanks DaveK. Actually, after spending some more time trying to get NOF to work I discovered SiteSpinner and am now using that - I managed to get my sites working properly in a fraction of the time I wasted on NOF. Sorry guys, but you've lost me to the competition...