Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to create a simple Log in with Username and Password

Smile How to create a simple Log in with Username and Password

I have created a 9 page website with my newly acquired NOF 12 and am having trouble creating a simple log in that asks a user for user name and password for a couple of additional pages. I followed a NOF 11 tutorial for an added page but cannot get it to work. Has anyone done this recently please that could possibly describe the best way to do this. The users do not have to email and request accounts etc. All the parents have been sent a a u/n and p/w to log on. I have 90 youngsters going off on a trip on Monday and I want to post all the pics in a secure area for parents to see. I'm struggling. Any help welcomed.

Thanks

Bobster

Have all the parents received the same username and password? Is your website hosted on a server that is Unix or Linux based (as opposed to Windows)? If yes to both, there is a very easy way to do this using a feature available on your web hosting server called .htaccess. Most web hosting packages will allow you to password protect an individual folder. If you do that, all you need to do is tell NOF to upload the photo pages to the designated folder. Shout out if you need more explanation for any of those steps.

Thanks LBA,

In answer to your question; yes, all parents have the same username and password. My server is also Linux as well. I've heard of .htaccess but I don't understand how to do it through NOF. The url for my site is www.canada2011.org Have a look and you'll see that I want to make the secure area work. A quick 10 line tuturial of how to do it would be great if you have time.

Thanks in advance

Bobster

Bobster,

.htaccess isn't something NOF can help you with. You need to do it either through your server cPanel or create a text file called .htaccess and upload it using an FTP client such as Filezilla.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

As Paul said, if your host uses cPanel, often there is a very user friendly way to set it up through "Password Protect Directories" in the Security section of cPanel.

You need two files to accomplish this:
    .htaccess file which is placed in the directory to be protected.
    passwd file which is placed elsewhere, often in the root folder where it is generally not accessible via the web.

If you don't have cPanel (or this function is not available) you can use this htaccess generator and the corresponding htpasswd generator to create the files, then upload them to the appropriate location on your server. Note that you will need to know the path you will used to get to the htpasswd file when you generate the .htaccess file.

HTH

P.S. Wave as you drive by Oakville.
    Last edited by RayC; 07-10-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Paul and Ray have you pointed in the right direction. First check and see if your web host's control panel has an easy way to do this... maybe even contact them to point it out to you. If that fails, something like the htaccess generator will do it or we can just tell you how to create the file. Whichever method you use, you then need to tell NOF to move your photo pages into the protected folder. To do that, click the Publish button in the toolbar (not the Publish Site button)... right-click anywhere on the left and select New Folder (this will be the protected folder so name it as you wish)... then locate the page(s) that you want password protected (they're probably in the HTML folder if you tend to use the default publish method)... right-click to select Cut... then navigate to the new folder you created (probably requiring you to use the button that shows an icon of a folder with an up-arrow)... and then right-click and select Paste. Having relocated your page(s) to the password protected folder, republish the entire site (not just the photo pages). And that should do it.
    Last edited by LBA; 07-10-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks for the comments and support. Will try all the options and feedbcak on how I get on.

Thanks

Bobster

I'm finding this thread of great interest because like Bobster, I too would like to create a log in page for subscribers to use. But I have more questions. I have a website devoted to twin pregnancies and I would like to create a page where subscribers can log in and track the progression of their individual twin pregnancies (week of pregnancy, pounds gained, so forth). Is this something that I can create with NOF 12 or is it something that needs to be done by a professional designer/coder?

Quote Originally Posted by writermom View Post
    Is this something that I can create with NOF 12 or is it something that needs to be done by a professional designer/coder?
    I'm laughing at the way you phrased your question. Yes, you can do it in NOF. And yes, you can hire someone to do it. But what you are talking about goes way beyond the scope of the original poster's question, which involved one shared password used by a small group of people who will view a few common static pages. You're talking about building a database to store and display user-submitted information, which is a whole 'nother animal. If you want to spend the time to learn about PHP and MySql, you can most definitely do it yourself with NOF. Otherwise, you hire someone.

I use this little doo-dad
    http://www.zubrag.com/scripts/password-protect.php
    Free & Easy!