Thread: Form Field Question

Question Form Field Question

Hello. I just redesigned my website www.crcsecurity.com and I have put a form on every page. I entered default fields like Name, Email address etc as the default text. I have a few questions

1) Is there a way when the user clicks that field my default text will automatically disappear so they will not have the manually delete it.

2) Is there a way to ask a code on the form to avoid Robotic form Spamming?

3) How can I make it so my customers can tab from field to field rater then clicking each area?

Thanks for any help and input!
    Chris

1. I'm not aware of any way of auto-deleting the default field data.

2. Yes, you have to use captcha.

3. They can tab from field to field and you can change the tab order too.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

You can auto clear fields using a script. I have 2 tutorials on gotFusion that use scripts I wrote but they are subscription so no link to them

I am sure that there are scripts out there that can be found that can be inserted into Fusion, if you want to take the time to look for them.

Captcha or a honey pot will slow down the spam bots.

As Paul mentions, tabindex can be used to order the input fields when the tab key is pressed.

Take a look at address munger. Spam bots can't crack this so you can put an email address on every page also: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4047
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks for the help! got it..

crc2k,
    This tutorial may be of some help too:
    http://alt-web.com/Tutorials/formmailer-tutorial.html
    bert542

Found this last night - captcha with a difference - experimenting as we speak!
    http://confidenttechnologies.com/pro...fident-captcha
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM

What I do with forms is check for a non-displayed honey pot input which is called either URL or email (bots can't resist either of these). If either have content then I bypass the form to email processing and show the success text. You should be able to do this with PHP by placing the form to email processing within an if statement and checking a hidden field for content. Only bots will see the non-displayed field so only bots will fill in URL or email.

Create a CSS declaration like this example and place it on the page with the form input

<style type="text/css">.hideField {display: none;}</style>

Within the form tag add your non-displayed field like this

<div class="hideField"><input type="text" name="url" value=""></div>

Then in the form processing section, use an if statement to check if the form input url is empty, if it is then process the form. If it is not, bypass the form processing and go directly to the thank you page without processing the form.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    Then in the form processing section, use an if statement to check if the form input url is empty, if it is then process the form. If it is not, bypass the form processing and go directly to the thank you page without processing the form.
    That's what I am working on now but I can't get the IF statement to do what I want - got any example code I can steal/borrow?

PHP is not my 1st choice of languages

What are you using as your forms to email processing ?

Mike,

In NOF I create the form manually and rely on the generated FormHandler.php file to process the form (as found in the scripts/ folder). In other applications (never to be mentioned here) I use similarly generated forms processors. In this other software I have the ability to use (include) other php files before and/or after the main form processing has been called, so I have plenty of options. I'd be happy to create a separate php file to process these hidden fields and just include that in whatever processor I'm using.....just need to work out how best to get the result of the IF to direct to the success page without actually sending a mail.