Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody used the new data sources tool?

Default Has anybody used the new data sources tool?

Hi

I didn't get a response to the problem I'm having with the new data sources tool (it was in NOF 11 but I jumped from 10 to 12). So, either nobody is using it, or nobody has an answer to my question.

I would be interested to know if anybody has used it in any way.

Thanks

Ronnie

PS The new data sources tool can be found by right clicking on the standard toolbar and selecting data sources tool.

Thanks

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

Hi,

I have tested it (if you mean this), but it's all in German including my tutorial - maybe it will help you.

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/nof/Datenquelle/
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook

Hi

Thanks for the help. You have used the XML version but the principle is the same (I used a MySQL server). And, I am able to do what you have constructed on the test site. It's the next bit that I'm having problems with.

The DS palette has a choice of variables that can be used to capture user input and filter the records on the basis of the input. They are in the data sources palette (where you would create the recordset). One of the choices is URL (you will see the choices if you click on the button that you would normally use to create a recordset) and I have managed to get this to work also. It's really good.

One of the other choices is the FORM variable. My understanding of this is that, on the basis of collecting input from a user using form edit fields, combo boxes, check boxes etc, you can bind these to the data source and they act as filters of the data on the page (just like a WHERE statement). For example, if you had a list of customers on the page and you wanted all the customers where the name began with "A" and who lived in "Germany", the user could fill in a form edit field with "A", select "Germany" from a combo box, and the reload of the page would show those companies that match the criteria.

This function is wizard based in NOF12 and occurs when you click the reload button on the data source toolbar. I have completed the wizard the way I think it should be completed - there are no instructions on the NOF website - but, when I load the webpage and fill in the form edit fields, the action fires - no errors - but nothing is returned.

I thought that it may be the SQL server not returning the records, but if I can get the URL variable to work (that the user selection is passed to the server and the specific record returned), then I feel that it must be in NOF, either the way I have completed the page, or an error in the script for the action.

If you manage to get any further on this, please let me know as I'm so frustrated. I like NOF, have built sites since NOF8, and would hate to have to change.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Ronnie

Hi

Does anyone from NOF actually look at this forum? I saw a "Mike" who seemed to be a NOF man but that's been it.

If the reason isn't obvious by now, I'm trying to get the data sources tool (Form variable) to work and I don't know if the reason is down to me or the software.

Anybody else had a go and given up / got it to work?

Thanks

Hi,

I just did (today) and it is not that easy but it is working perfect. I might need some more days to be ready for launching it and maybe even longer for my tutorial (but it will be in German).

So far - I have just added the last 3 or 4 data records which you can see (for now) on my MySQL (old tool) pages...

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/nof/MySQL/
    Tommy

Default Some more detail

Hi

Once again, many thanks for taking the time and showing an interest in this.

I looked at your site and could see the functions - add, amend, delete - and could also see the URL link that, on clicking, took the user to another page with a greater level of detail. However, I'm interested in the filtering function (the ability to search) and I saw your "suchen" page and it worked okay. But then I looked at the page source HTML and I could not see the HTML that my test page creates when I use the reload button on the data sources toolbar. It may be the different version of NOF or the different language so to be sure that we are looking at the same function, a couple of questions:

1 - Are you using NOF 11 or NOF 12?
    2 - which database tool are you using? Is it:
    a - the components found in the menu bar under View>Components>Database
    b - the palette found in the menu bar under View>More Panels>Data Sources which works together with a toolbar found by right clicking the Standard Toolbar and selecting Data Sources Toolbar

Lastly, just so that you can see what I have, I have attached a file that I sent to NOF. It shows the test web page for the URL variable which works, and the page for the FORM variable which does not work. It also includes the HTML from the FORM variable page and a screen print of the NOF design area used for the page with the DS toolbar, palette and data bindings input form. You'll see that the HTML doe not look like your HTML where the scripts are.

Thanks again

Ronnie
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi,

I am completely burned out with this component "data sources" and I have not even read your posting

I have worked the last 2 days on this thing and I have just (maybe) finished it.

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/n...nquelle-MySQL/

... sorry, but I am not ready to answer any question right now.
    Tommy

I might have some insight here. It seems like I have killed literal weeks in ongoing battles with Data Sources in NOF over the last few years.

If you created the connectors in version 10 (maybe even 11) you will need to redo all the DSN settings for your "Connector" in the "Data Sources" in 12. Even though they look (and are) correct, if you push the test button and do not get a "Connection Successful" message its not going to work. After you first convert a site to 12, if you hit the test button, nothing happens. Something gets screwed up in the conversion.

If you are familiar with ODBC, and have a saved User or System DSN file for you database, you can hit the browse button and just reload the same DSN file you had before.

Once you have set up the connector and gotten the "Connection Succssful" response you will want to re-test all your RECORDSETs.

NOF 12 seems to generate very different code than previous versions as regards data sources and queries (recordsets). I'm currently struggling getting things up and running in 12 that worked flawlessly in 11.

So, I hope that helps.

Hi

I didn't mean to be pushy there. I know what its like when you're coding and learning at the same time ( I did a bit on SQL and Db development years ago - you just need to walk away from it and take a break). Take your time, go have a beer. It's not as if NOF haven't had this question on their desks for some time. If it's any consulation, NOF are still testing and do not have an answer so your website must be way ahead of them.

Ronnie

Hi

First, I was never able to get the database tool in NOF to work and I've been using NOF since version 8. However, I now have NOF 12 (jumped from NOF 10) and noticed that there are now 2 database tools in it.

Which one are you using? Is it
    a - the components found in the menu bar under View>Components>Database
    b - the palette found in the menu bar under View>More Panels>Data Sources which works together with a toolbar found by right clicking the Standard Toolbar and selecting Data Sources Toolbar

I'm using B for the reason that I have never been able to use A and that according to NOF tech support, the new version (B) has greater detail to work with. Below is there answer to the question of the difference in A and B.

NOF response
    The Data Source tools is the newest tool NetObjects Fusion offers in terms of database connectivity. Both type of components offer basically the same features, the Data Source tools however is more complex, and offers you many more ways to connect to a database / data source.
    End Response

Also, I have found difficulty in using the MySQL ODBC connector 5.1.8 (the newest connector) with older NOF components. In fact, to use the "Get external data source" function which has been in NOF for years in the advanced tools, I have gone back to MySQL ODBC connector 3.5.1

Let me know what version you are using and which Db component you are working with. It will help to clarify any discussion.

Thanks for your comments

Ronnie