Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody used the new data sources tool?

Hi

Attached is a graphic of what I'm trying to achieve. In the example, there are two user input fields, one is a form edit field and the other is a combo box (both from the form toolbar). By placing a word in the form edit field ("Union" in the example) and selecting one of the choices from the combo box ("Glasgow Area" in the example), the list below would Reload and would only show those records with "Union" in the address field and "Glasgow Area" in the location field.

The Reload action is a filter based on user choices that reduces the size of a list of data. And, the user stays on the same page, not transfered to another page.

I tried the reload without the AJAX but the data list appeared on screen as one line - the records were on top of each other, not one record below each other.

It also states in the NOF documentation that PHP and AJAX must be switched on for the component to work.

Anyway, thanks for giving it a go. I appreciate your effort on this. If one thing is clear to me now, it is that I am not the only person who is having difficulty with this component. As a wizard based component, it should not be so difficult that both of us have difficulty in getting it to work.

Ronnie
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

Hi Ronnie,

we have tried this already (with an entry field as well as with a combo box) and yes, it works.

As far as I am busy the next 2 weeks with other stuff , I am unable to extend my tutorial. Maybe I do this when I find some time.
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook

Hi

Perhaps you can tell NOF technical support how it works because they cannot tell me. I've been asking since the beginning of the month.

Strange that you should get it to work with the AJAX problems you said you have. I know from trying it that it doesn't work without AJAX and NOF documents have confirmed this. See

http://netobjects.com/en/nof/12/00/docs/webhelp/
    Home > Adding Interactivity > Adding Dynamic Content from a Database > Acknowledging the Data Source limitations.

It states "•The Data Source features works only with PHP and AJAX."

Just one question before I move to another Web Design package. Did you have to add any special code for it to work, or did you just use the dialogue bindings box that is opened by the Reload button and the datasources panel to complete the WHERE statement?

Safe journey

Thanks

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

for my example I didn't add anything "special" - it just works (for now) with PHP. With Ajax I just have the problem that the server must use UTF-8 in it's configuration but we have found already a way to reprogram a script of NOF.

Just make sure to point out the correct layout region for the detail page. NOF does not know in which layout region the details shall be shown and is just using the layout region of the reload button. So you must change the layout region manually in the "action" area to the correct layout region which does contain the detailed information of the data record.

Tommy

... and - you definitely need a session variable (at my tutorial called "Wer")

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/n...erweitern.html

Tommy

Hi,

I can't really explain it all because a friend of mine looked it up.

Just do everything (for now) with PHP and not with Ajax. It looks like there is a bug. If Ajax is active you can't use GET/POST variables because using the "reload" button, due to the header location, they get lost.
    Tommy

Hi

I gave it a go yesterday but no luck. However, I think that your comments about language types (UTF-8) may be a key to the problem.

I played with the URL variable as this is the one that works. However, instead of using it to look at the detail of a single record in a list, I used it to pick up a variable in the My SQL Db and place that variable in the WHERE statement and I got a filtered list returned. (I also set the URL page to the current page and it worked).

So, my list had an address field and a location field e.g. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berlin. The URL variable picked up the location variable and the action returned all the addresses for that location in a separate list on the same page.

On looking at the code, the URL variable is captured with "Id=${RECORDSET13.data3.Id}". In other words, the Id value is taken directly from the MySQL Db and, regardless of the Id value being a number of text value, when this value is passed back to the server in the WHERE statement, the filter of records works.

However, on using the Reload function (toolbar button), a form object (form edit field, combo box, etc) has to be used to capture user input and I think that in doing so, the language NOF uses to capture this data is not recognised by MySQL when it is presented in the WHERE statement.

So, today, I'm going to mess about with language settings. I may find the problem. Or, what I've said above is rubbish and the problem lies in the scripts of the Reload button. In which case, it's up to NOF to fix it.

I'll let you know what happens, if anything.

Ronnie

Hi

The short version is "no luck".

Tried various things with the language settings, from changing NOF and MY SQL and the odbc connector flags. No Joy.

I did find a logging system in the ODBC connector (Tracing Tab) and logged the connections. I don't understand much of what the log shows, but there were one or two lines that showed "SQLBindCol" and the value seemed to be "SQL_C_Char". So, MS Binging this (Google wasn't great), there seemed to be a lot of noise about parameters being droped from the application being used to transfer variables to a My SQL server where the character type was "SQL_C_Char".

And, others had trouble with this on other programming languages - c+, oracle etc. But this stuff is way past my knowledge level so I have no option but to hope that the developers of NOF feel oblidged to either show me what I'm doing wrong or fix the problem since they took my money for a product that doesn't appear to work.

Thanks

Ronnie

Twayne

Default Re: Has anybody used the new data sources tool?

In newsrcic_ron.4ze89k@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    orcic_ron <orcic_ron.4ze89k@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > Hi
    >
    > The short version is "no luck".
    >
    > Tried various things with the language settings, from
    > changing NOF and MY SQL and the odbc connector flags. No
    > Joy.
    >
    > I did find a logging system in the ODBC connector
    > (Tracing Tab) and logged the connections. I don't
    > understand much of what the log shows, but there were one
    > or two lines that showed "SQLBindCol" and the value
    > seemed to be "SQL_C_Char". So, MS Binging this (Google
    > wasn't great), there seemed to be a lot of noise about
    > parameters being droped from the application being used
    > to transfer variables to a My SQL server where the
    > character type was "SQL_C_Char".
    >
    > And, others had trouble with this on other programming
    > languages - c+, oracle etc. But this stuff is way past
    > my knowledge level so I have no option but to hope that
    > the developers of NOF feel oblidged to either show me
    > what I'm doing wrong or fix the problem since they took
    > my money for a product that doesn't appear to work.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ronnie

Unfortunately I think you've run into their "dirty little secret", Ron.
    There is no qualified support for NA but the European department often can
    deal successfully with our NA support issues.

It's also apparently not owned by Netobjects anymore; it's been through two
    or three owner transitions but whether that conatains the IP
    (ntellectualproperty) rights or just the code end is unknown, at least to
    me. I suspect IP wasn't also sold due to the fact that NO is the only legit
    place to purchase this unsupported program. I continue to use Fusion 11
    (less buggy than 12) and this group has been enough for support, but ...
    well, you can see where I'm headed.

HTH,

Twayne`

Hi

Today, I've been asked to pass a template of the problem to the NOF developers. I guess I'm about to find out if I'm an idiot or that there are issues with the software.

I will keep you informed.

Ronnie