Thread: NOF Update

Default NOF Update

Just applied the new update. Without warning the names of pages changes with underscore being substituted for dash. About-Us became About_Us. No problem except it wouldn't have been nice to know since I was updating just one page and ended up having to update the entire site. Is there a setting somewhere I am not aware of that controls this behavior?

No... the software should really tell you when it's going to do that but it does not. But now you know. Same thing with spaces.

Dana Cassell

Default Re: NOF Update

On 8/23/2011 9:19 PM, LBA wrote:
    > No... the software should really tell you when it's going to do that but
    > it does not. But now you know. Same thing with spaces.
    >
    >

But what about URLs with a hyphen in their names? Mine's been that way
    for 13 years! I wouldn't do it again, but after all this time, waayyy
    too many reciprocal links and bookmarks etc etc to change the site
    name/URL. I was just about to order ver 12 (had been waiting for the
    update), but if it's going to change all 78 pages, I will fore go the
    upgrade - not worth it.

Or - on second thought - is it changing the "names" only and not the
    actual URL? That would not be so bad, I guess. Actually, I think I used
    spaces before I knew what I was doing, so they have been changed to _
    long ago. Could someone clarify what exactly gets changed?

Thanks,

Dana

Yes this is about replacement of spaces, now with an underscore instead of a dash. It may seems like a small change. But now all my pages that have been indexed by search engines result in a broken link. My search engine ranking is now 0 and I will have to wait for the search engines to crawl my site again to pick up the new pages with underscores in there url instead of dashes. That really hurts.

Just rename the pages with dashes instead of using spaces. Not that hard to do.

You should never use spaces on the web as it breaks links. Fusion keeps you from having bad/defective html but in the end you do need to do a little thinking on your own even when using an html generator.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I take exception to your reply. It is not an easy task or should it be necessary for me to rename all the folders and pages on my web site.
    The whole problem was caused by the fact that the behavior that was originally built into version 12 was changed with the release of the newest update.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I put alot, not just alittle thinking and planning into my work. It is not necessary to be so defensive. I have been a loyal user of NOF since version 3. That does not stop me from pointing out a problem when I run into it. Search engine ranking can be all the difference in the world and this problem just killed mine needlessly.

The software has changed. Simple fact.

Windows changed between XP and Vista and areas where you could play around became "protected"

Software evolves.

The solution is to rename your pages or go back to the older version of the product.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz