Thread: Links to Files Disappearing

Unhappy Links to Files Disappearing

Hi,

I don't know how to reproduce it or why it keeps happening. It's been happening a lot more lately and I can't figure it out - but it's bad.

I have many many links to PDF files. Some how, after FTP uploading, NO is breaking the links. When I do File Link Verification, it thinks it's linked (at least, it doesn't find them), but on their pages, the links simply vanish!

Any ideas?

thx
    K

I can absolutely confirm this, having experienced it many times in NOF 10 and 11... and NOF 12 has done it to me at least once so far, too, so it definitely hasn't gone away. What's very bad about this is that when it happens, the linked text in Design View is still blue and, by all appearances, is still linked, so the only way to know it's happening is to check all pages with file links each and every time you do a full site upload, regardless of whether there have been changes made to the pages in question. I've done lots of testing with sites built specifically to track this down... many file links on a single page with numerous subsequent edits and uploads... but still haven't been able to catch it in action.

Laurence

Yes, that's it: the link (without a URL) still appears on the page, so you have no idea until you (or someone else) clicks on it in the live page. It's horrible.

Ugh, so disappointed to hear it's happening in 12 too. They get a D for QA this company - really!

Today, I spent an hour fixing a ton of links to PDF files.

Wondering if upgrading to 12 is worth it? Any other bad experiences for you?

No bad experiences with 12 and this problem is a continuation of a prior bug that, admittedly, would be very difficult for NOF to fix without the ability to reproduce. NOF 12 is stable, solid and not much different from 11.

We had a few users in our forum with the same problem of disappearing links, mostly in versions 10 and 11.
    They were using file links for the PDFs, means they were linking IN NOF.

The solution was to use external links.
    You take your PDF files out of your project and upload them into a seperate folder on your server.
    And then you create external links for them.
    This has the advantage that it keeps your actual project slim.
    And the links won't vanish....
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten