Thread: Web commerce question

Default Web commerce question

I've been using NOF for >10 years now; never tapped its full potential. Maybe someone here can tell me if I can do what I need without resorting to PHP, or Python- either of which I'd have to hire someone to do. Plus, my ISP doesn't run scripts (Cox Internet), so I'd need to find a web hosting company, too. Hassles that I don't need.

I've been selling through my website for years- just a PayPal button, that sort of thing. Now I'd like to sell semi-customized items; there would be 10-20-30 different pull-down tabs, each with different options- some with more than a dozen options each, and then each option would have a different price associated with it. Add up all the different options, produce a bill (or ask to move on to the next item) through PayPal, pay it, and send me the product to "build" and ship out.

Any way to do this in NOF that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg with a web developer? TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by osp001 View Post
    I've been using NOF for >10 years now; never tapped its full potential. Maybe someone here can tell me if I can do what I need without resorting to PHP, or Python- either of which I'd have to hire someone to do. Plus, my ISP doesn't run scripts (Cox Internet), so I'd need to find a web hosting company, too. Hassles that I don't need.

I've been selling through my website for years- just a PayPal button, that sort of thing. Now I'd like to sell semi-customized items; there would be 10-20-30 different pull-down tabs, each with different options- some with more than a dozen options each, and then each option would have a different price associated with it. Add up all the different options, produce a bill (or ask to move on to the next item) through PayPal, pay it, and send me the product to "build" and ship out.

Any way to do this in NOF that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg with a web developer? TIA.
    You should take a look at this tutorial I wrote on how to roll your own Mals-e cart system: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4050

this will work for a small store of items that do not change frequently.

I have other tutorials on e-commerce that are free to my hosting customers that I won't post on this public group.

If you have a large group of products that change on a regular basis you should look into some of the carts offered by hosting companies. I offer zend cart, cube card, and OS commerce on my linux hosting plans (all 1 click installs with the Fantastico installer).
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Joe Rotello

Default Re: Web commerce question

On 9/17/2011 6:00 AM, osp001 wrote:
    > I've been using NOF for>10 years now; never tapped its full potential.
    > Maybe someone here can tell me if I can do what I need without resorting
    > to PHP, or Python- either of which I'd have to hire someone to do. Plus,
    > my ISP doesn't run scripts (Cox Internet), so I'd need to find a web
    > hosting company, too. Hassles that I don't need.
    >
    > I've been selling through my website for years- just a PayPal button,
    > that sort of thing. Now I'd like to sell semi-customized items; there
    > would be 10-20-30 different pull-down tabs, each with different options-
    > some with more than a dozen options each, and then each option would
    > have a different price associated with it. Add up all the different
    > options, produce a bill (or ask to move on to the next item) through
    > PayPal, pay it, and send me the product to "build" and ship out.
    >
    > Any way to do this in NOF that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg
    > with a web developer? TIA.
    >
    >

Mike has a potential answer in his reply.

Another avenue, albeit at some low-to-less than moderate expense, is to
    carefully inspect CoffeeCup's Shopping Cart Pro products, one being
    Designer 3.9 and the other the Creator 3.9.

I have not gone or needed to go as "deep" as your ideas and needs are
    mentioned, however, you might find Creator / Designer 3.9 Pro series
    capable.

Joe