Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Form field do not validate

Your next step now that you know you don't have a hardware/software or hosting problem is to do the NOF shuffle (the full 3 step export routine then import under a different name). See if this resolves the not validating problem after you do a full site generation and upload all pages. You want to make sure you upload all pages from the new site project to remove the possibility that any orphans might be causing your issue

If the form still does not validate after "the shuffle" and full site upload, you need to create a new form page within your site project and see if this solves the problem. If it still fails validation you need to look at other externally inserted coding within your site project for conflicts.

You can do all of this on a test folder on the domain so that you do not disrupt any live content.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks Mike. I'll try all that and report back once done.

Twayne

Default Re: Form field do not validate

In news:franko.515tcc@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    franko <franko.515tcc@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > Thanks Mike. I'll try all that and report back once done.

Try what?

Quote Originally Posted by Twayne View Post
    In news:franko.515tcc@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    franko <franko.515tcc@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > Thanks Mike. I'll try all that and report back once done.

Try what?
    This

http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...ll=1#post59187
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Default That's only half the problem

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    It doesn't appear to have any php coding on the page at all. So why not? Why isn't NoF doing what it's supposed to have been doing for God knows how many versions?

I don't use the formhandler component; I design the form on the page and then select the formhandler.php in the form properties. Always worked for me before, although of course, validation probably isn't working on any of my forms.
    I've taken over a site built in NoF. We have several forms and they will detect if no data is entered and prompt the visitor to enter something. But they won't detect basic stuff like is there an "@" sign in the email address. And is there a recognized domain suffix after the "." i.e. .com, .net etc etc. As a result visitors can put anything in the fields (even just 1 letter is enough) and the form will validate ... Very poor. But hey, that's my experience of NoB all the way through :-(

Franko,

I know it has been a long time since you made this post, but I recently came down with the same problem. Here is what I have learned:

• The problem does occur in NOF 12, though not consistently. I had several versions of my website where the validating worked fine. Then on a new version of the site that did not change anything on the form page, the validation on the form stopped working.

• I was able to compare the form pages HTML when it was working and when it was not working. The non working version was missing a line:
    <script type="text/javascript"src="../assets/validation.js">

It seems clear to me that there is a bug in NOF code that generates the HTML.

Here is a work-around that worked for me:

• Remove all of the form validation. (Removing just some of the validation will not be enough.)
    • Re-publish the website. (This may not be necessary, but I wanted to make sure the HTML was regenerated.)
    • Put validation back in and re-publish.

Hi moschicago, thanks for your suggestions. I had tried that already without success; on this particular web site NoF simply refused to work the way it should. I've now moved to a server based form solution. i was just being lazy trying to do it in NoF but it just wasn't worth the effort. All my forms are now 3rd party.

Hi Franko,
    I have just discovered I have this validation problem on an old NOF12 site that doesn't update well to NOF13 (so it's stuck in NOF12 until I have time for a complete redesign). The page does reference the validation script, and the script exists in the assets folder. So I'm lost as to why it's not working.
    My I ask what 3rd parts server based form solution you settled on?
    Cheers,
    Adrian.

Hi Adrian, it's one supplied by my web host, www.superb.net. Easy to set up, easy to configure but a server application which is completely hidden from the client. So sorry, not much help to you unless your host supplies a similar application.

Thumbs down HTML or PHP for forms?

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Hi Adrian, it's one supplied by my web host, www.superb.net. Easy to set up, easy to configure but a server application which is completely hidden from the client. So sorry, not much help to you unless your host supplies a similar application.

So just to clarify, do we have to use a PHP (or ASP) extention if we have a form on a page?
    Ive always left them as html

For example:
    http://www.solarlightcap.com/html/2c-dealer-order.html
    On this page, if you enter an incorrectly formatted email address, it will stop the submit and warn you
    BUT
    If you enter an invalid number where it should be a multiple of 50, the validation does not stop you.
    That seems very weird to me.
    I get a lot of spam from this page with rubbish in the numeric fields which I'd like to trap using validate on those fields.