Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Form field do not validate

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    I don't use the formhandler component; I design the form on the page and then select the formhandler.php in the form properties. Always worked for me before, although of course, validation probably isn't working on any of my forms.

If your host offers ColdFusion you can use the <cfform> tag instead of <form> and ColdFusion will create the validation for you if you insert required="yes", message="text to display when entry is not valid " to any form field tag. Coldfusion will then write a javascript validation routine for each form filed that you have made required.
    Last edited by gotFusion; 09-21-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: remove incorrect suggestion
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

turtle, using forms validation is totally separate from the formshandler.... no? I've used 3rd party form@iler for years but I almost always use NOF forms validation, too, which is javascript only and requires no PHP or page renaming. It's cleaner than letting the form processing script do validation because it error checks while you're still on the form page. (Actually, I use both, just in case javascript is turned off.) I see the javascript code on Frank's form page. It does look like there is something interfering with a process that should be working fine in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by LBA View Post
    I see the javascript code on Frank's form page. It does look like there is something interfering with a process that should be working fine in this case.
    I think you have hit on his problem.

There are a couple of other inserted scripts (2 google analytic scripts)

Maybe remove one of the google analytic scripts and see if this cures the issue.

The underlying code looks correct outside of the duplicate and conflicting scripts.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Nope. Removed all scripts from the page other than the one google analytics one that's placed through site options and is on all pages. Still submits without validation.

Franko,
    Did you ever resolve the validation issue? It has had me stumped for ages. As far as I understand, you get the opportunity to validate your fields using the Forms Inspector if you use the Form Tools. But if you use the Forms Handler Component you are presented with only a (Active) checkbox. As long as something is entered in your form field it does not produce an error.
    I have tried other programs (Coffeecup) and it is just as bad.
    I like the NOF Forms Handler Component because it has the inbuilt Captcha.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Form-Tools..jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	1009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Form-Handler..jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	1010
    Thanks
    Bert542

Never did resolve the issue. I don't use the forms handler component (never have) but design the form and then use the Forms Inspector to set the form parameters. Until recently I used to call a Perl CGI script but for the last year or so have been using the php script in NoF.

Mike - unfortunately my host doesn't offer Cold Fusion as an option, but are perfectly willing to install it for me if I buy it. It's a bit too rich for my pocket, though. Pity. I haven't used CF since before Allaire sold it but was quite impressed with it back then.

No, you don't want to purchase coldfusion as it is expensive. There are hosts who offer coldfusion with their hosting packages and it is always worth asking if your host does. CF is like MS SQL Server, you don't want to buy either but you should always search for a web host who offers both

Did you try creating a 2 page test project with just the form and success page and see if it works on your hosting platform? If you do this, and it functions, this would take your computer set up and your web host out of the debugging equation so you only need to look at your larger project file to find the problem. It's always best to narrow things down as much as you can before you start looking for the problem

I'll try that, Mike. The other alternative is to construct a form with a 3rd party solution, but all the ones I've looked at seem to be a pita, to be honest.

I'll try your solution when I get a moment. I don't think it's a problem with the host as I haven't had any other problems with PHP stuff and I've been with them for over a decade. But you never know!

What I am trying to get past by asking you to create a new site is to lock the problem down somewhere so we can start looking for an answer. If you can make a new site, upload it to a test area, and it works, then the issue is with your other project file. If the new upload fails like the original, then you may have to talk to your hosting provider.

Ok, made a new 2-page site here at www.naturalexpressions.com.au. Simple form. The form does validate ok and submits ok. However, instead of serving the success page ( ../html/success.html ) it comes up with an error message. But it is validating.

The one I'm concerned about, at http://www.umbrellasgalore.com.au/html/enquiry.php, submits okay but without validating. So two different bugs with the form submissions.