Thread: Importing a website

Default Importing a website

How would you import a website like this one: www.cobblestone-cottage.com

I love the layout and would like to create a website with this as inspiration, but I really don't know where to begin.

Or, does anyone know if there is a similar template I could buy that would work with NetObjects Fusion 12?

That site is done completely in Flash. NOF would be the wrong tool for creating a 100% Flash site.

You could do something similar looking in NOF in an HTML site. A step-by-step tutorial would be a multipage endeavor, but you would start by creating a background, repeatable image of the plaid (or whatever pattern youi'd like), and use that in your SiteStyle background.

Create an image like the brown, frilly are, place a layout region on your page that is the same size as this image, and set the brown filly image as the background for the layout region.

That would give you a starting point for building your pages.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

RayC - Wow! Thank you! This helps a lot. When you say "create an image like the brown frilly area" would I have to do that in Photoshop? But regardless of where I create it, then that is an image? Jpeg? Thanks again.

Yes. Photoshop or whatever your image editing/creation software of choice is. (I'm more of a CorelDRAW guy )Then export as a JPG or PNG if you want some transparent areas. GIF is another option for smaller image files provided it is appropriate for the image in question.

There's 101 ways to go about this; this is just one. It partially depends on how you want the site to look and function. For example, you may need to use different techniques depending on whether you will allow the page length to vary, or if you want to keep it a fixed size to emulate the Flash site.

You can have a background colour or image in your SiteStyle.
    On top of that, you can apply a background image or colour to layout regions and tables and even individual table cells.

By slicing an image, you can do various tricks to have a background image that can "grow" as more content is added. One of our longtime contributors sells a nifty little program called EZ-Round that helps with this sort of thing if you're so inclined.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Well, you sort of lost me with the transparent part and slices, but I am so lost in Photoshop, this will be a couple of more things to study and try to figure out. I certainly appreciate the help. I am so new at this that it helps that you have named the different parts of what I will be doing. Sometimes when searching for help I don't know what term to enter to help in the search.

Thank you very, very much!

An .PNG graphic file can be created such that certain parts are transparent so that whatever is behind will show through. JPEG filles cannot; they will end up with a white box around the image if the image is not square or rectangular.

Slicing simply refers to taking an image and splitting it into multiple pieces such that it and be pieced together in your site. It's very common in web design. Do a search on "image slicing" and I'm sure you'll find lots of info online.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Thank you again. Wonderful information and put in a way that I can understand it, which I appreciate. I've been doing all kinds of searches on this forum and I am learning a lot! Thanks!