Thread: Assistance to import web site created in Fusion8

Exclamation Assistance to import web site created in Fusion8

I have had multiple equipment faliures and software issues preventing me from moving my created web site from a crashed computer to a new one which have resulted in preventing me from being able to successfully template my website to move it. I have upgraded to FusionXII and I am trying to resolve the problems by importing my existing web site from the web so I don't have to start from scratch to create it and am not succeeding at importing from the web. The error is "Unable to contact Castlescott.com" which is my domain. Do I not understand the appropriate path name - (using http://www.castlescott.com/home.html)? I just upgraded to FusionXII because I am hosted on Earthlink and could not use Fusion8 any more to publish. Now I am really hosed as I can not even get access to my last published web site version in order to have somewhere to start to recreate the site. Can someone help me? I have been at this for two weeks and I am completely stumped.

You have a lot on that site with all of the photo galleries.

Do you still have access to your old computer drive? You might be able to get the project files off but from what I remember Fusion 8 did not do a good job of forcing the user to store all of the used images in the Fusion assets folder so even if you can get the actual project file, you may not have any of the photos in the Fusion folders.

Do you have access to any of your Fusion files or the html that was generated (i.e. your local publish content)?

You can try to import the raw html. Fusion does not do a very good job of this as it is not designed to work with raw html. Fusion is a database program that "creates" html from its stored data and you have lost the stored data.

OK here goes.......

You will first need to download the html files and folders from your hosting company to your local computer. If your hosting providor does not have a file manager that you can use, you will need to use a 3rd party ftp program to get everything downloaded to your home computer.

Once you have your entire web site on your home computer, you have tested all of the pages and links and know it all functions on your home computer......

Start Fusion
    From the menu bar select
    File > New Site > From Existing Web Site.
    Navigate to your index.html (or home.html or default.htm or what ever you called your opening page) and click on it.

Fusion will try to rebuild its database from your raw html.

Don't forget to hold your lucky rabbits foot and cross all of your fingers and toes for good luck.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I've got access to my old drive (hijacked a laptop from a friend and forcefed it the hard disk). I have project files all over the place ( these are nod's, I assume?), but as you indicated, not all of the assets appear to be in the right folders. I have never been able to save a template - it appears to think I have some damaged objects which it deletes during re-optimization and my images do not get saved as part of the template. Could I try again by putting all the images in use in the the appropriate directory (where is that?) and hope to create a template? I have all the images. I can get from the templates saved without re-optimization photo galleries that have all of my captions - but no way to force in the images. I am not looking forward to another all night session of crossing my fingers and hoping I can get this to work.

I am on WIndows 7 and I can certainly get to my directory on the web and bring all the files local for the version that is out there. My issues is that I don't trust that it will rebuild. Why can I not import from the web? I am assuming that would at least get me a working version with working links. If I could do that, then I only have to rebuild a few days of work.

Thanks for your help so far.

If you can get all of your files from your old computer you need to reconstruct the folder structure that the original drive had that contains all of your images.

You can "try" to import from the web but this typically does not work. By downloading the files to your computer you remove one step that can cause you problems (the more problems you can remove before you start the less you may end up with after you are finished).
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz