Thread: Assistance with Forms please - will pay for assistance for fast resolution

Talking Assistance with Forms please - will pay for assistance for fast resolution

Dear community,

I am a full time IT engineer but not exactly a php maven. So this is something I am seeking assistance with. I have an intranet site built to run on Windows 2008 server, IIS, and also loaded PHP5. Upon generating a form document out of fusion set to use localhost for SMTP (service running of course), then using Fusion's formhandler.php, clicking on SUBMIT properly redirects to the "success" page I have defined, but nothing is going out. It feels to me there is a step or a few more that might be missing to make the whole thing work.

I am seeking a fast resolution for this issue and willing to compensate someone nice enough to assist. Thank you in advance.

You also need an email address to send the output of the form, this is usually a hidden field. Most people use some type of form processing script suck as Formmail you can find this script at the NMS project.

The fields needed in your form to process the output are:

Hidden, post to a script that will handle emailing out the form output
    Hidden, recipient email address that is part of your domain so you don't get spam
    Hidden, redirect to the success page

Hi

I'm not sure where you are with this so if you have completed the following.......

Look in the properties panel after you select one of the objects on the form. The second button at the top will show a field called actions. Select the formhandler action (asp or php depending on your setup). A grid will appear below in the properties panel and will contain the fields that you need to complete (if you have already filled in a success page, then you will probably know this)

1. SMTP server - you should get this from the company hosting your service e.g. ours comes from our BB provider. It should be something like smtp.[service provider].com
    2. From - this is an email address and before the @, this can be anything e.g. WebsiteForm. After the @, this has to be the domain that you have registered with the service provider e.g. MyDomain.com. This is so that they will let mail to you get through.
    3. To - this is an email address and must exist in full. This is where the comments made on your website will go. So, if you have a sales team, you would create an eamail called sales.team@MyDomain.com in your e-mail system and use this as the To field.
    4. Subject - just a text field e.g. Website Requests
    5. Success URL - where the site user goes to after clicking the submit button.
    6. CSV File Path - the path to where you will keep a CSV of all the site users who completed the form. It will contain their responses to the fields on your form e.g. ../Db/FormContents.csv where the site structure is by Asset Type. If you do not require this, remove the default contents.
    7. File Upload Folder - the same idea as CSV path, if you ask site users for a file, this is where it will end up in your server e.g. ../Db/FormFiles where the site structure is by Asset Type. If you do not require this, remove the default contents.

In short, NOF has all that you need to create forms on your site and collect user responses. I know because I use it.

Hope that helps. I'll send my fee note on due course :-)

Ronnie

Ronnie - Thank you for your time and reply. Fortunately/Unfortunately, all the things you mentioned are in place already.

1. SMTP - 127.0.0.1 where the localhost SMTP is running. I also tried with an external SMTP server that requires no auth for sending mail out.
    2. From - yes we have this in place.
    3. To - each form currently has a proper target destination email address where the submission result should be delivered to.
    4. Subject - each form has its own title of what it's about.
    5. Success URL - we have this page defined and upon clicking SUBMIT from each form, it actually does display the page properly.
    6. CSV path - not applicable to us so it's left blank.
    7. Upload folder - same as 6. None required.

Where did I go wrong?

Absolutely - as far as fee is concerned - if you help me get through, your time will be compensated appropriately. Thank you so much!

Personally I've never been very happy with the form tool in NoF. Most of my sites use a server-side form creation tool provided by my IPP which, because all processing is done serverside, isn't vulnerable to being exploited. Unfortunately, due to a migration plan to a new platform at my IPP (the Sun servers are getting a bit old now) the last handful of sites I've done have used the form tools in NoF but I've had all sorts of problems actually getting them working properly (see my topic on form field validation in the v11 forum). I will be looking at 3rd party form applications such as Tectite and Coffeecup, although neither seem ideal.

Maybe I'll drop PHP and return to my old CGI scripts for form processing.

Hi

First, the fee was a joke. If it wasn't for free help in forums, there would be a lot more of us jumping out of windows in frustration.

Second, you'll be glad to know that my partner knows more about this than I do so I'll challenge her to this.

In the meantime, with regard to 1. your smtp address,
    1. why are you using a localhost
    2. does your broadband provider or website host provide e-mail services
    3. did your broadband provider / website host not provide you with an smtp address (smtp.domainname.com or mail.domainname.com or an IP address) (I don't need to know what it is)
    4. have you sent an e-mail to the TO address as a check that it works
    5. you don't get any error messages when you click submit

Let me have your answers. I'll ply her with wine tonight and see what she says :-)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by orcic_ron View Post
    In the meantime, with regard to 1. your smtp address,

1. why are you using a localhost
    2. does your broadband provider or website host provide e-mail services
    3. did your broadband provider / website host not provide you with an smtp address (smtp.domainname.com or mail.domainname.com or an IP address) (I don't need to know what it is)
    4. have you sent an e-mail to the TO address as a check that it works
    5. you don't get any error messages when you click submit
    According to the OP it is an internal, intranet site not external internet site

I was going to suggest that they check their mail server configuration but seeing as the individual is an IT person I was positive this would be the first thing they did.

It would be helpful if they told us:

1. What mail server software they were using on their internal server
    2. If the mail server software is installed on the same server that they are running the http out of
    3. If the mail server software is installed on another server within their local network.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

HI

Yes, you're right. Intranet, not internet. So this will be of no use but I asked my partner and the only thing we could think of for the Internet was that the Domain Registrar had not been informed of where the website was held and where the e-mail server was i.e. their addresses.

And not that I know a lot about intranet set ups, but I would have thought that the same requirement would be necessary for internal websites.

Cheers

Ronnie