Thread: Dynamic Page Lengths in XII?

Default Dynamic Page Lengths in XII?

In v.11, if you embedded script code using CTRL-T, everything on the page would shift down accordingly based on whatever the code produced.

So if you had a Google Map code embedded, or a News script pulling in articles from a database, whatever the length, the stuff below would shift down to accommodate.

I'm getting the sense that this sort of thing doesn't work with a DIV type of structure. In the few tests I've done, whatever content is produced simply bulldozes over top of whatever else may be below it.

Just to save hair, does this basically require publishing using tables (or building in your own tables) to get this to work?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Yup. Fraid so.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Hmm... so how is this sort of thing handled in, say, Dream Weaver, where you want to use a PHP Include to pull variable content from a database?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Ray,

Tried DW once (well about three weeks of trial and error) and decided I had a life and it was better spent using a friendlier application. So I abandoned DW and returned to NOF...and more to the point I stuck with NOF 11 and haven't gone for v12 so I can't answer your question sorry.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adendum View Post
    ...and more to the point I stuck with NOF 11 and haven't gone for v12 so I can't answer your question sorry.
    Likewise. I'm still not convinced v12 is ready to use for production sites yet, although I do have one small site created in v12. It's small enough to be not too much hassle to recreate if it falls over, though.

I used DW when it was still owned by macromedia (and wasn't it at Allaire before that?) but stopped after v4 back in 2000-ish.

I have been encountering the same problem. I was having particularly bad experiences with dynamic content contained within mulilayer layout regoins (MLR).

This is what I took from my experience.

It is caused by how NOF organizizes its DIVs and Layers.

To get the bottom to push down I had to redesign my master boarders in a specific manner that is so counter productive I wouldn't do it if it involved more than a page or two.

1. Set Master Border to zero margins.
    2. You cannot have content in bottom/footer master border area. This will get plowed over by other content.
    3. You can use the top/header area normally.
    4. Create a layout region that encompasses ALL of the center/body area, and make sure all of you content will reside within it.

As long as all your main content, additional layout regions, nav-bars, whatever, and intended footer content remain inside in the main body layout region you create, it will resize and extend the page down.

Thanks, DJ. This sounds a little awkward, but gives me something else to try.

I guess having always used NOF, I'm a bit handicapped in the HTML/CSS department.

Here's a less vague example of what I'm trying to do. I'm using Visual Lightbox to generate a gallery and I want to insert the BODY section generated by VLB into a page to display the thumbnails. I can't just paste in the code where I want it to appear, because it just plows over everything else.

The easiest way I've found to deal with this is to create a TextObject at the top, then insert a bunch of blank space on the page (guessing at how much space the thumbs will take) then create another TextObject to mark the bottom.

Then I insert the code inside the top TextObject and hope for the best.

A couple of interesting tidbits I've discovered:
    1. The DIV's for all the elements on the page are NOT listed in the order they appear. I would have thought they would.
    2. The CSS for the positioning of the elements on a page is embedded in the page HTML, not in the CSS files.
    3. If you
      1. Re-arrange the DIV's so they are in the order they appear on the page,
      2. Then delete all of the CSS positioning info, you effectively get a liquid layout that expands to fill the browser window width.

None of this completely solves my problem, and I realize part of it is my own ignorance. Perhaps I'll play with the News Component to see how that is handled internally as far as size and positioning go.

I shouldn't have to reverse-engineer the program to figure this stuff out!
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in