Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: delete master border anchors

Hello, thank you so much for your help, I REALLY APPRECIATE it as I've been trying to figure this out for some time (the site has been painfully slow to update for almost 2 years) I keep up with the NetObjects releases to try and find a solution to the slowness. Surely there are other NetObjects sites with more then 400 pages.
    Anyways, as I originally mentioned you cannot see the anchors displayed anywhere on the page. Where I see the anchors is when I try and use a navigation button. I see 4 "topofpage" and 3 "topofpage1" anchors on EVERY page of my website. I have to scroll to find the actual page I want to link/navigate to and I can see the 7 phantom anchors on every page, which even makes scrolling the window unbearably slow.
    As an example of the slowness, when I try to navigate from one page to another, it can take almost 4 to 7 minutes for the page to open after I click to open it. This is one of the reasons I finally decided to change the style of the website, thinking the old NOF 4.0 style had something to do with it.
    When I click on "Local Publish", it can take 20 minutes just for the one page to be generated and opened in a local browser.
    Am I the only one who is experiencing this?
    Again, thank you so much for your help!
    Sincerely,
    Peter J. Macay
    Here is a screen capture of what I see.

Looks like it is time to start a clean new site project. You will spend far less time doing this (2-3 hours) then you will searching for a solution that does not exist.

Set your paste default to un-formatted text and just copy/paste from your old site to your new one.

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4067

By using unformatted as the default paste, you will not move the anchors along with the text
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Ugh! You're suggesting I copy/paste 400 pages of formatted text, graphics, images, navigation buttons, java code, etc. into a new blank site?

Yep.... Been there.... Done that.... except it was 800 static pages... Took me about 4 hours total time (EACH time). I've since gone to serving out of a database and now only have 5 pages to display over 1000 items on that web site.

You will find that your slowness won't improve. If you have 400 pages and you use any components everything will be just as slow once you are finished. You can try removing as many components as you can (replace them with inserted scripts that do the same thing). This will help improve your page load speed in the product.

You can break the site down into manageable sections, then publish each as its own module. This is a good interum step before going to a database but eventually you will bite the bullet and start serving content dynamically.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Hi Mike, thanks for the clarification. I like the idea of breaking the site down into modules, I'll give some thought on how to do that, and then upload the separate pieces/modules. I'm not sure what you mean by "try removing as many components as you can". What do you mean by "components"? Do you mean navigation buttons? That's about the only thing I use in my site, it's a very simple site as far as that goes. I was using a rectangular image with rounded corners as custom navigation buttons, but then it got to where when I typed text into the rectangular image image, it would take about 45 seconds before I could type another letter. You can see the custom buttons on http://www.pejnron.com/Personal/Diary/diary.html under the first photo. I then switched back to using the navigation buttons supplied with NetObjects.
    Thanks again for your help. At least I don't think I'm going insane anymore! Well.... maybe just a little crazy! Hah!
    Pete

pmacay,

Have you tried deleting your nav bar and rebuilding it? What about creating a new master border, not based on the current, from sctatch (since what you have is so basic) and check to see if the anchors are still there? Just create a new page somewhere out of sight to test it. If it would work, it's easy to apply the new MB to the rest of the sight and delete the old one.

Just a thought before you rebuild the entire site.

I have to agree it would serve you best in the long run to at least divide such a huge sight up into several pieces and as Mike says, serving content dynamically should be your ultimate aim.

Best of luck....

David B.

Hi Dave, that worked! Thanks for the great idea! I created a one page site using the style I wanted. Then within my site I did FILE->Insert Template Then I chose "Overwrite existing master borders" This got rid of all the phantom anchors. Now I just need to break it down into smaller sections to increase the speed of updating the site.
    Thanks Mike for all the great feedback and info, especially on setting the paste default to un-formatted text.
    Cheers!
    Pete