Thread: Nav Bar - Highlighting a different page than selected

Default Nav Bar - Highlighting a different page than selected

This may sound weird, but it's what I want to do...

I've got a site structure where a Main Page has several Sub-Pages, like so:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SiteStructure..gif 
Views:	291 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	1048

The Sub-Pages will not appear on the navigation bar, but will have links to each from the Main Page above.

What I would like to do is have the Main Page remain highlighted in the navigation bar when one of the sub-pages is selected. Is there a way to impose a "selected" page on the nav bar?

The only thing that comes to mind is to have each of the "Sub" pages have their own MasterBorder and Custom Navigation Bar, with their own page substituted for the "Main" page.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Junior Member Myrtle Winchester's Avatar
    Pender Harbour, on the Sunshine Coast of BC Canada.

I doubt that Fusion could show two pages as highlighted or selected, so this demands a workaround. Perhaps you could set something up using two custom navigation bars, a Secondary to show the main page and the Primary to display normally the selected sub-page. In Style view, for your Secondary navigation bar, you could set the regular button to display the highlighted button, thus making it look like the main page was selected.

That's all I've got! Best of luck from Pender Harbour BC.

Ray,

I just was playing and it seems to be quite easy if I am understanding correctly. With all the same master border, if you set the nav bar to be "first Level" and the show home page checked, the sub pages (or child pages) do not show up and when viewing the sub pages the "Main Page" is highlited. Now, the sub pages are not in the navbar, if that's not a problem.

Now, with that said, I must be misunderstanding what you are trying to acheive because it seems a little to easy to accomplish. :-)

David B.

Thanks, Winnie, er... David

My playing around has shown something similar. I have a bit of a hiccup in that I want to specifically exclude the sub-pages from navigation. I have other pages at the same level on a flyout, but don't want these ones to flyout.

If I "exclude" the sub-pages, they don't have the same effect. Similarly, if I construct a Custom Nav Bar, and just leave these pages out, I get the same result: they don't highlight the parent page. I've got a couple of work-arounds I'm playing with.

I had been looking at a nav bar script where you could indicate the "selected" page. I was hoping for something sneaky like that.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Junior Member Myrtle Winchester's Avatar
    Pender Harbour, on the Sunshine Coast of BC Canada.

Create *two* custom nav bars.

The catch is this: if the sub-pages are not included in the Custom Nav Bar, the parent page will NOT highlight when a sub-page is selected.

I have TWO sets of sub-pages, but only want one of these to appear as a flyout. So my options appear to be:

1. Have a separate MasterBorder and Custom Nav Bar for
      • The main site pages,
      • The first level page above the sub-pages that do not fly out
      • Every one of the sub-pages
    2. Have two MasterBorders with Custom Nav Bars, and allow the second set of sub-pages to appear on a flyout only on the second MasterBorder and hope nobody cares.

Option 1 becomes a pain for site updates.
    Option 2 is a bit sloppy

The "outside the box" option is to use an HTML Include on a single top-level page instead of having separate sub-pages. The links would load a different include file instead of going to a different page.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in