Thread: How to add a facebook like button?

Default How to add a facebook like button?

Running Essentials. Trying to add a FaceBook "like" button to the site but can't quite get it figured out. I can get the HTML from FaceBook but then it goes on about plugins and such...I don't know anything about plugins.

Where do I start?

Something like this? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Facebook Image..jpg 
Views:	604 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	1057
    a google search shows tons of pictures.... insert where you want it then define properties as you need.

I am new with NetObjects and may be way off base.
    Good luck

well we want it so that when you click the button you automatically like and share the our facebook page. There's an html thing to do but we just don't understand it enough

Makenzie,

Just put a text box on the page where you want the like button to appear. With the cursor flashing, hit Ctrl-T and paste the html you got from facebook in the box....and Publish. Should be all it takes.

Best of luck

David B.

There's a little bit more to it. FB gives two chunks of code - part goes where you want the button to appear, the other part is supposed to be placed somewhere in the body of code.
    Trouble is, if your want your fb like button on every page you'll need to place the other code chunk into each page body - tedious. I put my button in the MasterBorder using a small layout region and I put the other code chunk right above the insert code - works fine and duplicates across all the pages.

HTML Before Tag in Layout Region
    <div id="fb-root"></div>
    <script>(function(d, s, id) {
    var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
    if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;}
    js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
    js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1";
    fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
    }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-like" data-href="http://www.facebook.com/solarlightcap" data-send="false" data-layout="button_count" data-width="50" data-show-faces="false" data-font="verdana"></div>

Default Great idea. But it doesn't quite work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wtpooh55 View Post
    Makenzie,

Just put a text box on the page where you want the like button to appear. With the cursor flashing, hit Ctrl-T and paste the html you got from facebook in the box....and Publish. Should be all it takes.

Best of luck

David B.
    I tried it on my home page, in the Master Border and it worked well. But it doesn't show up on all other pages with the Master Border, nor does it work if I copy and paste the link on another page's Master Border. Maybe I'll really have to generate new code for every page on the site (unfortunately 180 pages!) unless you have some trick I haven't. Any thoughts?

I've used this solution because with css styles I can't hide a div inside an iframe.

easiest way to add facebook button is, try some 3rd party code, like addthis.com

Just put a text box on the page where you want the like button to appear.

Default How to add a facebook like button

Has anyone tried adding the FaceBook like button to Avactis pages? I cant get the code to work in map.ini or in the content pages.Lavern