Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: WordPress blog via C-Panel

  1. #1
    Dana Cassell
    Guest

    Default WordPress blog via C-Panel

    I have a website published by site structure, as I have a couple
    password-protected sections.

    I would now like to add a blog by installing wordpress with subdomain
    from my cPanel. The instructions seem reasonable, and the host support
    is good about answering questions.

    That said, I am wondering how it will affect future NOF page and full
    website updates (uploading/publishing). Would I do it the same as always?

    The install directions include the following:

    The domain and path selected above represent a URL (a web page link) and
    also a physical path on the server's hard drive, both of which are shown
    here:

    Install Location
    URL equivalent of selected location
    http://www.website.com/

    Install Location
    Path equivalent of selected location
    /home/members/public_html/

    Has anyone done this using NOF and a cPanel?

    Is there anything I need to be careful of - or prepare for - re NOF
    itself? (I use both the Publish function within NOF and an external FTP
    for certain pages, so am familiar with both methods, if that means
    anything.)

    Thanks,

    Dans





  2. #2
    Senior Member RayC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto-ish, Canada
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    The general approach for this sort of thing is to keep your blog and your NOF site separate. Installing Wordpress into your root directory will completely plow over your NOF site.

    If your host allows, you can create a sub-domain for the blog like http://blog.website.com/, or simply put it in it's own folder like http://www.website.com/blog/. Then install Wordpress there as a separate site. You can style Wordpress to resemble your main site, then simply link back and forth from the blog to your site.

    If the whole raison d'Ítre of the site is the blog, you might be better served creating the entire site in Wordpress. If the blog is simply a way to post occasional comments and observations, a news component or script can be used to do that as an integrated part of your site.
    Last edited by RayC; 11-20-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

  3. #3

    Default

    Here is an example of what RayC is talking about, the blog link is at the bottom of the page and it links to the blog directory http://www.livealta.com/blog

    http://www.livealta.com

    It is clean and will not bother NOF, in the blog itself there is a link back to the main website as well as other social sites.

  4. #4
    Senior Member franko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tasmania Australia
    Posts
    2,640

    Default

    I've done precisely this at www.food-photography.com.au. The blog is linked in a custom menu to the subdomain blog.food-photography.com.au. Simply use the external URL for the link on the menu button.

  5. #5
    Dana Cassell
    Guest

    Default Re: WordPress blog via C-Panel

    Thank you for the helpful info, Ray.

    I can see that I will have to experiment. The website is established in
    and of itself. The blog will be a full-scale blog - but related to the
    website.

    If I am able to use http://blog.website.com/ (and the host does allow
    sub-domains; I've just not done that yet) -- then I could publish my
    regular website from within NOF - individual paqes, site sections, the
    whole site - without any complications from the blog that's in the
    sub-domain?

    Dana


    On 11/20/2011 7:55 AM, RayC wrote:
    > The general approach for this sort of thing is to keep your blog and
    > your NOF site separate. Installing Wordpress into your root directory
    > will completely plow over your NOF site.
    >
    > If your host allows, you can create a sub-domain for the blog like
    > http://blog.website.com/, or simply put it in it's own folder like
    > http://www.website.com/blog/. Then install Wordpress there as a separate
    > site. You can style Wordpress to resemble your main site, then simply
    > link back and forth from the blog to your site.
    >
    > If the whole -raison d'Ítre- of the site is the blog, you might be
    > better served creating the entire site in Wordpress. If the blog is
    > simply a way to post occasional comments and observations, a news
    > component or script can be used to do that as an integrated part of your
    > site.
    >
    >
    >
    > Ray Cambpell
    > Sounds In Sync
    > 'Unlimited Web Hosting $5.95/month' (http://tinyurl.com/hosting595)



  6. #6
    Dana Cassell
    Guest

    Default Re: WordPress blog via C-Panel

    Thanks, shamim,

    That looks as if it is published via Site Structure, as mine is. Am I
    correct? If so, it sounds great for what I want to do. I've been so
    leery of using another folder for the blog and then publishing updates
    to the site. But yours looks perfect!

    Dana

    On 11/20/2011 4:55 PM, shamim wrote:
    > Here is an example of what RayC is talking about, the blog link is at
    > the bottom of the page and it links to the blog directory
    > http://www.livealta.com/blog
    >
    > http://www.livealta.com
    >
    > It is clean and will not bother NOF, in the blog itself there is a link
    > back to the main website as well as other social sites.
    >
    >



  7. #7
    Dana Cassell
    Guest

    Default Re: WordPress blog via C-Panel

    Thank you, franko.

    That works well, also!

    I'll just have to take a deep breath and try these out :-)

    Best,

    Dana

    On 11/20/2011 6:21 PM, franko wrote:
    > I've done precisely this at www.food-photography.com.au. The blog is
    > linked in a custom menu to the subdomain blog.food-photography.com.au.
    > Simply use the external URL for the link on the menu button.
    >
    >



  8. #8
    Senior Member RayC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto-ish, Canada
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    NOF will only publish to the folders defined by your NOF project. It will not do anything to any other content in other folders. So as long as you don't explicitly tell NOF to publish to the /blog/ folder, you will have no issues.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

  9. #9
    Dana Cassell
    Guest

    Default Re: WordPress blog via C-Panel

    Great!

    Thanks so much, Ray.

    Dana

    On 11/20/2011 10:51 PM, RayC wrote:
    > NOF will only publish to the folders defined by your NOF project. It
    > will not do anything to any other content in other folders. So as long
    > as you don't explicitly tell NOF to publish to the /blog/ folder, you
    > will have no issues.
    >
    >
    >
    > Ray Cambpell
    > Sounds In Sync
    > 'Unlimited Web Hosting $5.95/month' (http://tinyurl.com/hosting595)



  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Cassell View Post
    Thanks, shamim,

    That looks as if it is published via Site Structure, as mine is. Am I
    correct? If so, it sounds great for what I want to do. I've been so
    leery of using another folder for the blog and then publishing updates
    to the site. But yours looks perfect!

    Dana

    On 11/20/2011 4:55 PM, shamim wrote:
    > Here is an example of what RayC is talking about, the blog link is at
    > the bottom of the page and it links to the blog directory
    > http://www.livealta.com/blog
    >
    > http://www.livealta.com
    >
    > It is clean and will not bother NOF, in the blog itself there is a link
    > back to the main website as well as other social sites.
    >
    >
    The site is published "flat" although the blog is in a seperate directory.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •