Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clicking MLR Tab changes text style

Default Clicking MLR Tab changes text style

I have a problem where when my page first loads, the text looks correct, once I click a tab it changes to a grainy text, I have to close the browser and re-open the page (edit: actually refreshing the page works) and it is ok again until I click a tab again. It only effects the text in the MLR. I use IE8 (edit: I tried it on a IE9 Vista laptop and the text is ok, but the tab png is gone...) Any clues? a link to the page:
    http://www.ohlhausen.us/ancestry/fam...ter/index.html
    a pic of what I see (actually the pic is not that great either way) The one on the left is after clicking a tab
    Last edited by MikeOhlh; 11-22-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Default Text change with tab click - Text properties

Here is what I see for text properties in NOF for all the "story" tabs when I click into the text

I have found the same issue when I go to other sites with MLR like http://www.fragrancegarage.ca/html/calvin_klein_men.php (he seems to have the php fixed now, looks nice) but as soon as I click a tab, the text contained in the MLR changes to a kind of anti aliased, or less bold, or thinner, more grainy looking text. I have to keep the text at least at 14 to be readable after the click. I hate to switch to IE9, because of other issues, but will it "fix" this? or is it in the MLR NOF stuff? I have tried different settings in IE like compatibility, text size, zoom, etc (and I'm not using UTF8 if that matters) but it makes no difference.

The text degradation is a weird IE thing. I recall having this same issue. Unfortunately, there seems to be nothing that can be done short of buying Microsoft. These problems do not occur in other browsers like Firefox.

You do seem to have an issue with your tab graphics. I am not seeing them in Firefox. You may need to clear your local publish files and do a full publish to get them back. Have you changed the graphics from the stock images? I've been finding things a little strange when publishing individual pages or "changed assets only". A full publish usually clears it up.

HTH
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

The problem you are experiencing is the exact issue I had. I am the owner and webmaster of the Fragrance Garage page you have as an example. I found that in earlier versions of IE9, there is a weight issue with the font when you click on the tabs. This issue was not present in Firefox or Chrome. It drove me nuts, as I didn't like the presentation of the text. Anyway, IE9, has definitely corrected this issue. Unfortunately, people that do not upgrade their browsers will still be seeing this issue. I too tried different settings, but to no resolution. As per your tab png not showing, I too had this issue, apparently, in the MLR css file, there is an error in the link to this asset. For some reason, NOF, will try to link it to the file on your computer instead of the asset file on your host server. I will try to find the forum link to explain this and post it once I find it.

Steve

In your MLR css: /MultiLayoutRegion2tab top.css , this is causing the tab png not to show:

#MultiLayoutRegion2LYR .ui-tabs-nav a,#MultiLayoutRegion2LYR .ui-tabs-nav a span {
    display: block;
    background: url("file:///L:/Program Files (x86)/NetObjects/NetObjects Fusion 11.0/NetObjects System/Resources/mlr/tab_top.png") no-repeat;
    }

The background url should be

background: url( "../assets/images/tab_top.png" ) no-repeat
    }

As you see, it's trying to link to the file on your computer and not the assets file on your host server. You can go directly to this file on your server and edit it, or sometimes, a new publish will correct it.

Steve

Yea, I found FireFox and installed it to see what all the fuss was about, IE8 has the Tabs just fine, IE9, no tabs, FireFox no tabs. I guess we have a choice of tabs or nice text... LOL, maybe I should go back to Netscape... (wait, weren't they Mozilla?) at this point I could care less about the tabs or the text, too busy thinkin' 'bout that big bird! All you folks have a great T-Day!!! (the link might be interesting though...) And I will check the png reference (I tried deleting the entire directory /richter off the server and republishing to no avail but not the local publish) Thanks

Maybe it is in the Style View? if I place the png in the assets folder, then point to that in the Style View... I've tried to republish to no avail, and there is too many pages to manually edit. (time passes) I can't seem to find the place where you choose the png file AH! I think this is it-

getting closer thanks to chipguy! I changed the file location to this under the CSS codepage for the MLR layer.. but I have to do every one for every MLR and when I create a new one, change that one too. I must be in the wrong place for this. It also seems that the tabs are really short in height on some pages. I tried to change it in the main MLR CSS, but when I modify the MLR it recreates the MLR1-2-3 files with the wrong pointer. Hmm I'll probably poke around till I really break it...

Does anyone know how to do this in the Main CSS file or even in MLR.css to prevent having to do this for every MLR layer. Maybe if I follow the procedure to replace the stock image, using the stock image... I'm off to search for that thread