Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punctuation wrapping down to next line

Default Punctuation wrapping down to next line

I just upgraded to XII. I find that end parentheses, periods, and commas are wrapping to the next line instead of staying on the line with the last word. I never had this problem with previous versions. I can't find a setting that seems to affect this.

Try reducing your font size or increasing the width of your text box.

Quote Originally Posted by buff51 View Post
    I just upgraded to XII. I find that end parentheses, periods, and commas are wrapping to the next line instead of staying on the line with the last word. I never had this problem with previous versions. I can't find a setting that seems to affect this.

It should wrap the whole word along with the punctuation. Reducing font size or increasing the width of the text box is NOT the answer.

Is this in Page View or when published? I often encounter the same thing you describe in Page View but it always publishes properly.

Aha! That is what I was hoping to hear. I just really bothers me to see it like that, and my older version didn't do it. But if it will publish properly I can live with it. You would think they could fix that.

Can you provide a URL for a page with text that is exhibiting this behavior in Page View?

Very easy to reproduce. Just narrow the width of a text box till the right edge nicks the punctuation. Here's a page that publishes perfectly correct... http://www.695.com/html/test.html but the attached image shows how it wraps in Design View.
    Attachment 1065

I am finding that the text publishes just as it appears in Design View--with periods and other punctuation wrapped to the following line. The entire last word of the line should wrap to the next line along with the punctuation mark, which is how it worked in the earlier version of NetObjects that I upgraded from. Here is a page I just published with NetObjects XII: http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/D9mm/d9mm.html. This is a "feature" that I need a fix for.

I just took a look in Firefox and IE8, and did not see a single instance of this on the given link. Interstingly, the text renders differently in each browser, with line breaks occuring at different places in the text, but neither produced a punctuation mark or parenthesis appearing in the left-most side of a line.

I even tried zooming in/out which sometimes can throw things off, but this had no effect on line breaks. Also tried "compatibility mode" in IE on/off. Perhaps there is something configured in your browser that is causing this.

Can you indicate a specific line in the text that is doing this?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

That's interesting, because I see the problem in both Chrome and IE9. In Chrome it wraps the period down to the next line, whereas in IE9 it shows a space in front of the period. Yes, I've tried deleting all spaces in front of the period in NetObjects, but there aren't any. The line in question is " The retractor plate snaps in place on top of the slide and forms a sort of cover for it ." I copied that direct from my browser--note the space before the period. But there is no space shown in Design View. When I look at the code there is no space shown there either, but the period is wrapped to the next line as if there is a space.