Thread: External Site Updates - Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default External Site Updates - Question

Is there a way to manually or automatically have any updates done to the site externally be imported so that it is not deleted when you republish when using Net Objects Fusion 10? When someone adds files using FTP and then I later republish that site it deletes what they added. How can I prevent this?

This requires using something called a CMS... a content management system... wherein the people who contribute content to the site will be not actually be editing the pages themselves, but instead, your NOF page will be reaching out and incorporating content that the contributors have edited outside of your actual NOF pages. This http://www.cushycms.com/en/static/pricing is a very flexible and reasonably priced hosted solution. This http://www.abramsnet.com/lbacms/ is a more basic but fully reusable solution that I made. In fact, with some PHP coding, you could possibly even make your own CMS to meet your needs.

However, even with a CMS, any content changes made using the CMS will not be reflected in the NOF project file. So when you re-publish with NOF, those changes will be over-written.

One technique to reduce this is using server-side includes whereby the content is published in a separate file, then "include-ed" on the appropriate pages. These files are editable via the CMS, and any style changes or additions will not affect these files. I can't say I've tried it, but should work in theory.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Ray, that's how the CMS's I mentioned work. The content changes exist in files that are separate from NOF project file. They appear on the webpage by way of include statements... exactly how you described. Works very well.