Thread: Contact mail form

Default Contact mail form

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and to NOF.
    Have just more or less finished publishing our new website and NOF has done wonders to do that.
    I am a newbie to HTML, know little about CSS, etc.

I already have a question.

I want to create a "Contact" page on the website.
    Visitors would fill in the form and confirm it. That would generate an e-mail to my address with the contents of the form.

My web-hoster can only support this if my form is made to post using a form.cgi file.

Like this:
    ---------------
    <form action="cgi-bin/form.cgi" method="POST">
    <input type="hidden" name="DEBUG" value="0">
    <input type="hidden" name="MAILFILE" value="privaat/feedback.txt">
    <input type="hidden" name="MAILTO" value="mail@xxxxx.be">
    <input type="hidden" name="REPLYFAULT" value="contact.html">
    <input type="hidden" name="REPLYOK" value="feedbackok.html">
    <p><strong>Welk soort commentaar wens je ons te sturen?</strong></p>
    <dl>
    <dd><input type="radio" name="MessageType" value="Probleem">Probleem
    <input type="radio" checked name="MessageType" value="Suggestie">Suggestie
    <input type="radio" name="MessageType" value="Vraag">Vraag</dd>
    </dl>
    etc.
    ---------------
    I am perfectly able to create the form and the "feedback.txt" file by using the Forms Handler from NOF.
    EXCEPT for the "action": "cgi-bin/form.cgi".
    That file does simply not exist, neither on my local PC, nor on the host's site. Apparently it is called for on the host whenever needed.
    If I want to create an action in NOF, I have to browse for a file. But as the form.cgi is nowhere available... I'm unable to have NOF make the action exactly as required. The "action" always points to some local form handler file, never form.cgi.

Is there a kind soul out there who is able to help me out on how I should tackle this?

Sorry for my poor English: it's not my native language.

For the moment I have inserted an "Object HTML" on the contact page which contains the HTML code from my previous site. But that makes editing and formatting the form extremely difficult (for me).

Default Does your web-hoster support PHP?

If your hosting company supports PHP then I would suggest you rather use formmailer.php. It is fairly simple to set up and can help to prevent spam from your contact form.

You will need to install the latest #3 update of NOF 12 to use it as previous versions had a bug that prevented some users to specify an alternative to the NOF component.

Hope this helps,

Bert

Quote Originally Posted by Bert vd Heever View Post
    If your hosting company supports PHP ...
    Unfortunately not...
    The host is at my ISP... included in my monthly Internet fee. It is a private website through which we mainly share GPS-files and tracks for hikers. Nothing commercial about it, so we have to live with the restrictions. We do have 2GB webspace, which is not too bad for private use and at no cost. Must keep within a small budget

From their FAQ:
    Can I use PHP/CGI/Frontpage Extentions on my Telenet website?
    No, that is not possible. You can use some scripts (a counter, 2 mailforms
    and a guestbook).
    Fear I am stuck with the form.cgi.

Thanks for your kind answer anyhow!!!
    And hope that someone has a clue about how to integrate this in my NOF12-made website.

Here's the website in question: www.marcenmarieken.be
    It's in Dutch but presume one will see what I mean when going to the "Contact" page. It's the formatting of the form there that gives me headaches: I want to keep it in line with the styles of the site and I have insufficient knowledge of HTML to integrate just that.

You can use 123contactform to capture process the form and send the email to you. It i a free service (they also offer a subscription service but for your needs free should be fine).

Here is the tutorial I wrote on how to user their service with NetObjects Fusion:

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4075

This service is external so it will work anywhere on any hosting account under any environment.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

If you are using the cgi script from your previous web site to process the form, then you already have cgi-bin/form.cgi on your web server. You should then be able to call this script using the NoF form tools. I used cgi scripts written in Perl for a number of years before switching to PHP. I haven't tried specifying the path to a cgi script in NoF 12 but you could certainly do it in earlier versions.

Or am I missing something?

Default Tried & True?

Good responses by all but I don't know.

If I need an update past this this, I would appreciate it- been using it for years.
    Otherwise, it's past being noticed and secure, and above all - easy to impliment & kills a lot of spam.
    TFMail http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    If you are using the cgi script from your previous web site to process the form, then you already have cgi-bin/form.cgi on your web server. You should then be able to call this script using the NoF form tools. I used cgi scripts written in Perl for a number of years before switching to PHP. I haven't tried specifying the path to a cgi script in NoF 12 but you could certainly do it in earlier versions.

Or am I missing something?
    That is my problem: when I use FileZilla to look at my site contents, I see no cgi-bin folder nor form.cgi file!
    Am I wrong by thinking that my ISP have it called upon when needed? (I am a newbee remember).

So I am unable to link or point to it when building my form in NOF12.

And I'm afraid, that's the only way my ISP supports a mailback form.

Thanks to all who gave feedback sofar!!!