Thread: Issue with NetObjects 12 just freezing

Default Issue with NetObjects 12 just freezing

Quite often when I'm adding new layout regions into an existing space Net Objects just freezes on the screen which has the box for entering the LayourRegion name. Everything stops working I have to re-boot the software to then find damaged objects which fusion deletes before re-starting. I then re-enter the information and it doesn't freeze until say when I've added another couple of layouts. It seems random whether or not you get the problem.

Its very frustrating!! Has anyone experienced this problem or is it just me? If you have experienced this problem how did you solve it please?

sorry I can't help with the problem itself. one of the moderators might jump in with the "NOf shuffle". re-optimize and so on. no Word junk text etc. You might find this information by yourself.

but adding "another couple of Layout regions" to your pages is no good practice and I always thought, many problems that users report with slowing down and freezing might come from overdoing with layout regions and other "tools". do you place several Layout regions to every single page? I have very rarely used layout regions in all of my many projects and also very rarely experienced crashes.

my advice is: keep your design crispy and clean. well, just my experience.

Thanks for your comments. I understand what you mean about crisp design but the purpose of my using it on team pages of www.aajyfc.co.uk is consistent with what the manual says below.

Multi Layout Regions components offer you the possibility to add Ajax functionality to your Web pages. By using the Multi Layout Regions components, you increase the speed and usability of your Web pages by updating only a part of the page at a time, rather than requiring the entire page to be reloaded after a user initiated change. Through the power of Ajax, the Multi Layout Region components are containers for the layout regions that you place on your pages. By using Multi Layout Regions, you avoid a complete refresh of a page. You may add multiple Layout Regions to a Multi Layout Region and you can change their content by refreshing only that part of the page using the navigation elements. You can place far more Layout Regions on the Multi Layout Regions because the Layout Regions are placed on sets of overlapped Layout Regions.

Hi, Rick.

I think I have a solution that will fix your problem AND improve your site.

I do an annual Website on CD thing for a conference, and it usually involves a couple of very large tables in excess of 200 rows. I found this creates huge headaches for NOF as it needs to render these every time you make any change to the page.

I see you have tables in all of your MultiLayoutRegion regions, which is likely contributing to this. So let me first re-state one of the NOF Golden Rules:

Do Not Copy and Paste from Word or Excel directly into NOF

OK, now that we have that out of the way, here is my patented technique for eliminating issues with large tables, with the added bonus that your MLR will adjust in height to the contents instead of always being the size of your largest sub-region.

What you do is this:
    • Pull out all of the tables from your MLR. Create a new page (set to Do Not Publish) and Copy/Paste each of the tables there.
    • Once the tables have successfully been duplicated elsewhere (so you don't lose the information), DELETE all those tables from your MLR.
    • In each MLR layout region, draw a text box the width of the MLR.
    • Go to the first duplicated table on your Do Not Publish page, select it and click on the [HTML...] button in the properties panel. Select all the HTML, and COPY.
    • Go to your first MLR layout region, place your cursor in the text box and press CTRL-T. Paste your table HTML into the box.
    • Repeat for each table in your MLR.

This has two beneficial effects:
    1. NOF no longer has to render these tables as you've given it the HTML code needed. It merely spits out what you give it, removing the strain from NOF. This solves your immediate issue.
    2. As a bonus, each MLR layout region will only open as much as necessary to display the content you provide. This eliminates the small table with half a mile of blank space effect.

Please be sure to refer to this as the RMLR (RayC-Multi-Layout-Region), and make the necessary license payments to my PayPal account.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Cheers Ray

All the league tables, fixtures and results are feeds from the Football Association of England website whilst all the details of our scorers etc come from a Microsoft Access database which once changed automatically updated in Access and the page re-published in Fusion loads the data. That said I will try what you suggest.

Regards and thanks

Please be sure to refer to this as the RMLR (RayC-Multi-Layout-Region), and make the necessary license payments to my PayPal account.
    I've seen this tip mentioned before, but never have I seen it phrased so eloquently

Ken

Unfortunately as I re-create the MLRs the fusion continues to crash so I think this is going to be a long process.