Thread: Home (index.html) page won't publish to server

Question Home (index.html) page won't publish to server

Hi,

Can't seem to get our home page to publish to our remote server, seems that it's publishing all other pages with the exception of the index.html page. According to the publish area of NOF 11, it shows that it published the file to the remote server but it really doesn't.

I go through filezilla ftp and sure enough the index.html file is not on the server, all the other files are.

When I try to do it manually by publishing locally first, and then dragging the index page over to the other side of the screen in NOF 11 publish page, I get no messages, no errors, it just doesn't move the file to the remote server.

Any clues?

Do you have "don't publish" accidentally checked on that page in site view?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

No, just checked to make sure, it's not checked.

Your site might benefit from export/import. This process clears up a lot of "weird" things.

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17

Just use a different name when you import to avoid overwriting your existing site project.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Thanks, did all that as outlined and tried to publish again, and again Fusion goes through the moves and it shows that it's publishing everything but it's not.

The thing that I notice is that the date on the publish page in NOF11, is written in red for all of my html pages, is this a clue to the problem maybe?

Edit, actually it's worse than I thought, I think it's stopped publishing all files as I've refreshed my browser and deleted an image folder on the server through ftp, and republished (and chose to publish all not just new) and while it says it's publishing, it's not even republishing that image folder and the images in it.

Something is seriously borked, definitely unhappy at this time.
    Last edited by City Builder; 02-19-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Might be a problem with the host (dreamhost) as I uploaded a file named index2.html (with Filezilla FTP program) to the server and when I try to reach it via the web, I get a 404 error indicating it's not there, yet in FTP it clearly shows that it is there. So, I've put in a support ticket with the host to see if they know what this strange situation is that it shows up in FTP but not for a web browser. Hopefully it's on there end, as I really can't afford to start learning a new product like Dreamweaver at this late stage in my life and a customer that's been hounding me to hurry up as she can't do anything with her new book until the site has been refreshed/completely new and updated.

Thanks for the help, I'll post back if the host says it's not them to see if we can further diagnose FUsion.

Clean up your work files/folders (you should do this on a regular bases anyway)

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4029

Do a local publish.

Download, install and configure FileZilla (open source FTP program). Clean off your hosting area (remove everything). Then use Filezilla to upload everything in your local publish folder to your hosting folder.

Here is a tutorial for how to set filezilla up with Fusion and my web hosting business (you will need to use your hosting details but the set up is the same)

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4066

If you still have problems you may be in the wrong location on your hosting account (uploading to the wrong folder using Fusion and FileZilla).

Found the issue. Years ago our host requested that since we have so many websites and so many mysql databases that we start to use different usernames to access them.

Apparently this site that I'm doing now I was using an old username that has a cache of the site, once I switched my username in Fusion to the one they say is truly now in control of the site, it's been publishing okay.

Twayne

Default Re: Home (index.html) page won't publish to server

In news:City.Builder.58608h@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    City Builder <City.Builder.58608h@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can't seem to get our home page to publish to our remote
    > server, seems that it's publishing all other pages with
    > the exception of the index.html page. According to the
    > publish area of NOF 11, it shows that it published the
    > file to the remote server but it really doesn't.
    >
    > I go through filezilla ftp and sure enough the index.html
    > file is not on the server, all the other files are.
    >
    > When I try to do it manually by publishing locally first,
    > and then dragging the index page over to the other side
    > of the screen in NOF 11 publish page, I get no messages,
    > no errors, it just doesn't move the file to the remote
    > server.
    >
    > Any clues?

I don't know what structure you're using, but by default index.html is
    placed in the root directory, not the public_html or html or whatever it's
    called on your system.
    With Filezilla, look for index.html one level UP from the collection of
    html files. It's pretty unusual for FZ to say it sent a file when it didn't,
    so it's there somewhere on your site.

Last note: NOF's use of the word "template" is a very poor choice of words
    for the packaging of the web site, which is what it is. Everythiing needed
    for the web site, addest, images, all files are contained in that template
    ZIP file. Use it for backup, not the .NOD backup, which backs up the NOD
    file and nothing else. Create a template often, especially as a site is
    started and works, and you'll always be able to return to that working
    version.

I think if you stepped back and tried to write a more cohesive, logical
    letter instead of a rant you might get some help. If you really want help,
    that is; you could also be here to do nothing but bitch, in which case I
    feel sorry for you.

HTH,

Twayne`

Sorry ahead to bump this up but was there a fix found for this yet?