Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!!! NOF12 was too slow so reoptimized and it wiped out my 898 pages!

Sry, but I disagree, the only acceptable backup is a template.

@chrisyts
    Here is a short description:

The idea is: instead of having one huge project with too many pages you will create several smaller independent projects.

If you followed the links gotfusion posted you found out how to create templates.
    You can split your project into smaller sections by creating templates of parts of your website.
    Go to Site View, hold Shift and mark the pages you want. Then you export them as a template.
    From these templates you can create new websites. (gotfusion´s second link)

Make a plan for start.

The first template/”new site from template” will be for your main project with a few important pages.
    This will replace your website which is on the server now.

And then you will have created several smaller projects with the rest of your huge website.
    Let´s call them Part1, Part2…….

They have to be uploaded onto your server as well.
    So take a 3thd party FTP client like Filezilla e.g., connect to your server and create new folders/directories on your webspace.
    Call them Part1, Part2……

So if you want to upload your Part1 in the end with NOF the Directory in the Publish Settings has to be: /Part1.
    The URL for Part1 would be www.yourdomain.com/Part1/

But….the major task comes before.

Before you will upload all your small projects you have to link them.
    That means for each one of them you have to create a Custom Navigation with External Links.
    Hopefully you know how to make a custom navigation with external links.
    If not, ask again. And hopefully your navigation is sitting in the Masterborder Area, so you have to do it only once per project.

This might sound like a lot of work, but it´s not.
    And in the long run it pays.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Intelics,
    Yes, I have copied the folder over to my external hard drive. Now I have to figure out how to solve my slowness problem. Thanks for your help.

Chris

Thanks so much mia for the information. Sounds like a daunting task but something that I need to do and I will create a template out of my database right now so I have it backed up two ways. My FTP is FTP Voyager so assume that your directions will be the same for it. When I get that far will come back and discuss with you how to make a custom navigation with external links.

Thanks for the information Mike. I went out to the gotHosting.biz website and would like to find out more about having your company host my website (right now it is being hosted through AT&T) and about the tech support that you offer. Can I actually talk to a person or is it all done through e-mails and how is your response time. I have sent two e-mails to NetObjects support and am still waiting on answers to them! Also if you hosted my website I am going to encounter the same slowness issue that I am encountering now or is that just because it has so many pages. I would really like to explore with you some more about what your company can do for me as I need more support. Thanks so much.

Ritch,
    I went out to NOF and I don't see a Save as Template option. Just Save or Save as. If I click on Save as the only option I see is to give it a new name. Any suggestions?

Chris,

it's in NOF.
    How to save as a template is described in gotfusion's links.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Twayne

Default Re: HELP!!!!! NOF12 was too slow so reoptimized and it wiped out my 898 pages!

In news:chrisyts.58x6t9@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    chrisyts <chrisyts.58x6t9@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > Carbonite just resorted my backup copy before the
    > Reoptimatization began dated 3/2./2011. Now I need
    > advice on how to address the NOF12 slowiness issue and if
    > any of you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. I
    > am afraid to reoptimize again and lose this current copy
    > that is now the full .nod file. I won't try it again
    > until I hear from someone on the forum on how to do it
    > properly. Also how long should it take and advice on
    > should I have continued to let let it reoptimize when it
    > wasn't showing the status bar in the window.
    >
    > thanks so much.
    >
    > If you don't use Carbonite you should consider it because
    > it just saved me for the second time! It's a great
    > program!
    >
    > Chris
    > chrism@yourtravelsource.com
    >
    > Chris

Jeez, learn to back up and keep orginals stashed some place safely. And use
    Template for backups; don't just back up the .nod file.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisyts View Post
    Intelics,
    Yes, I have copied the folder over to my external hard drive. Now I have to figure out how to solve my slowness problem. Thanks for your help.

Chris
    Do you have many different masterborders in use on that same site? I think that I resolved my site slownes by deleting several old unused masterborders.

mia
    What's the best way to divide up my website? How many pages would you suggest for each part?

Thanks Twayne. Learned my lesson!