Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!!! NOF12 was too slow so reoptimized and it wiped out my 898 pages!

Centauri - Thanks for that idea. Each section has a different master border so think I might also have that problem. If anyone wants to look at the website it is www.yourtravelsource.com.

mia,
    Just tried to do Export a template and got this message.
    Missing Assets
    Unable to create a complete template. The following assets are missing because they are from sources no longer accessible.
    Copy to your local hard drive and link to this new location.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are so many of them that I would like to make a copy of the list but there doesn't seem to be a way to copy it to a Word document. Is there any place else in NOF where I can get a list of the assests that are missing or do I just have to look at each page and then redirect the photo to the new link? I just went to Assets and have a list of the Assets and there are ones that say Yes and then some that are blank. Are the ones that are blank (where others say Yes), are they they ones that I need to redirect? I don't see a way to copy and paste the list into a Word document. All I see is Delete Unused Assets. Should I try that and then bring the ones that are not showing up in NOF back in? Or is my best bet to go into each page and where a photo is missing, copy it over from my existing website into Assets and then redirect it. Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this.

Mike,
    I just looked at your tutorial for cleaning up Assets before exporting as a template. Looks like I have a lot of work to do. I have many different locations where the photos are residing (hit and miss development over the years). If I use the Delete Unused Assets are those Assets which I am not using on the website or are they assets which NOF can't find? Should all the photos be under the Assets folder. In the past, I have opened up the website on the web and then copied and pasted the photo into the Assets folder and then brought the photo back into NOF. I hate the thought of doing this because it is soooooo slow but maybe that might be my only solution. When I tried to export as a template, it came back with this message - Unable to complete template. The following assets are missing because they are from sources no longer accessible. Then there is a huge long list of assets. Then it says Copy to your local hard drive and link to this new location. I could not find a way to copy the links so I could track them down and see what the problem was. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on how best to clean up the unused assets. Thanks so much.

in assets view, choose delete unused assets before using verify assets, doing it the other way, can often show lots of missing assets for no reason at all, I think this is a long standing bug that was there in all versions back to 1990

for the future, keep all assets in the assets folder, you will never be missing any more assets then

G'Day and thanks Anton, Appreciate the advice. Will do what you say.

Mike,
    I have now deleted out the unused assets and am now bringing th photos back into the Assets Directory. It will not verify because I have too many photos in many different directories. So I want to bring all the photos into the Assets Directory. I thought if I created folders in the Assets directory it would better organize everything but when I put a photo into a folder and then put it back onto my website, it makes a copy of the photo and leaves it in the Assets Directory. So now I have the same photo in the folder and also one in the main Assets Directory. Should I not create folders in the Asset Directory and just put all the photos under Assets? How many photos can you have in the Assets directory?

A template is a backup of your website.
    And this template is like a nice neat package which contains everything that you need to display your site, your text, your styles, your assets like the pictures you use.

So the first steps for creating a template is to get rid of the extra carbage in your website that you don't need anymore.
    This will be all the unused assets. So you deleted them now. And make sure that you delete every asset as well that is shown with 0KB.

Then you have to make sure NOF finds all the other assets which you still need in your site.
    This is the process of verifying your assets. NOF will look for the assets exactly in the place you told NOF when you inserted an asset.
    So don't move anything now otherwise all the paths of your assets will be wrong.

And after you finished the deleting of unused assets and verified the others you can start creating your template.
    And by creating a template NOF will move your pictures into the assets anyway.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Allison Moore

Default Re: HELP!!!!! NOF12 was too slow so reoptimized and it wiped outmy 898 pages!

On 3/7/2012 9:57 AM, chrisyts wrote:
    > Mike,
    > I have now deleted out the unused assets and am now bringing th photos
    > back into the Assets Directory. It will not verify because I have too
    > many photos in many different directories. So I want to bring all the
    > photos into the Assets Directory. I thought if I created folders in
    > the Assets directory it would better organize everything but when I put
    > a photo into a folder and then put it back onto my website, it makes a
    > copy of the photo and leaves it in the Assets Directory. So now I have
    > the same photo in the folder and also one in the main Assets Directory.
    > Should I not create folders in the Asset Directory and just put all the
    > photos under Assets? How many photos can you have in the Assets
    > directory?

To keep NOF from making a copy of the photo in your Assets folder, you
    need to untick the "Copy to site's Assets folder" checkbox at the bottom
    of the Picture File Open dialog. The setting is sticky during a session,
    so you won't have to clear it but once (unless you change it).

Allison

Joe Rotello

Default Re: HELP!!!!! NOF12 was too slow so reoptimized and it wiped outmy 898 pages!

Chris...

Why in the world would one use a remote service like Carbonite or others
    when you can easily learn to save your own backups right where you are,
    and thus safety your data for essentially little or no charge?

AND, when you do your own backups or data safeties, it's always right at
    hand.

Joe

On 3/6/2012 12:58 PM, Twayne wrote:
    > In news:chrisyts.58x6t9@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    > chrisyts<chrisyts.58x6t9@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    >> Carbonite just resorted my backup copy before the
    >> Reoptimatization began dated 3/2./2011. Now I need
    >> advice on how to address the NOF12 slowiness issue and if
    >> any of you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. I
    >> am afraid to reoptimize again and lose this current copy
    >> that is now the full .nod file. I won't try it again
    >> until I hear from someone on the forum on how to do it
    >> properly. Also how long should it take and advice on
    >> should I have continued to let let it reoptimize when it
    >> wasn't showing the status bar in the window.
    >>
    >> thanks so much.
    >>
    >> If you don't use Carbonite you should consider it because
    >> it just saved me for the second time! It's a great
    >> program!
    >>
    >> Chris
    >> chrism@yourtravelsource.com
    >>
    >> Chris

>
    > Jeez, learn to back up and keep orginals stashed some place safely. And use
    > Template for backups; don't just back up the .nod file.
    >
    >

Thanks Mike. Most of the Assets say 0KB amd I have many different folders and drives where they are located. When I look at my website in NOF, the picture is gone so I am going out to my website on the web and copying and pasting the picture back into the Assets folder and then I can put the picture back in. Unfortunately, before I started all of this, I had deleted out a lot of things from the Assets folder trying to clean everything up thinking this would help with the slowness. Duh! I just tried to verify the assets and this is the message I get in the Verifying Folders used by File Assets. "This site is using files in a folder that is no longer available. Please select the folder where the files or sub-folders are located." Not sure where to go from here or if my best bet is to continue to copying and pasting the photos into Assets and then bringing back the photo into NOF. Then it is directed properly. As soon as I do that, then in the Assets listing, it goes from OKB and shows the actual MB of the file gives me the date I did it.