Thread: Can't get database connector to work

Default Can't get database connector to work

I have a dedicated server (meaning full control over all settings) with several mysql databases on it.

I used to use NOF 10 quite easily to save myself time coding database reports. For some reason it stopped working. I am no longer able to create a connection to the database. I updated to NOF 12 and hoped that the new database connector would work but it doesn't. When I use the old database connector component and press "test" it responds immediately with "connection failed" ... so immediate in fact that I'm certain it didn't even try.

The new database connection thingy, when tested, just doesn't do anything. I get no message whatsoever, pro or con.

I'm sure I have the database settings correct. I've tried using the site username and password, as well as just the database username and password. I've tried using the full name of the server for the mysql server name, I've tried the domain name of the particular site, and I've tried using the IP address.

I've tried using the standard MySQL port and tried without it.

I've tried turning off my Windows firewall.

I've tried installing the lastest Java JRE and telling Fusion to use it in Application Settings.

I use another MySQL software package that is able to access the databases remotely, so I know that the server is allowing remote connections (as long as I provide my current IP address into the server firewall.)

No matter what I do, I can't seem to connect to the mysql database with NOF12. Does anyone have a hint about what I might be missing? Is there something I can try in the "Parameters" box? I'm not sure what that is for...

Thanks so much. I sure like NOF for doing database stuff, and I'll be heartbroken if I can't figure this out!
    Last edited by intelics; 03-05-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Is there anyone who has gotten this to work at all that can explain in English what they did? I looked at an English translation of the German tutorial that's been posted but lots seems to be lost in the translation and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Thanks.

bump? no one has any idea?

Default Any luck on this - I am having trouble too

I am on Windows 7 and had some trouble with the ODBC driver and went ahead and installed the 32 bit driver both in the 64 bit system file and in the 32 bit system file - Windows appears to be very confused on this itself. However now the driver shows up in the connector dialog anfd the test is "successful" but if I try to go to the database tab NOF keels over.

By the way I had this working on NOF 11 - maybe on Windows XP - but I had to modify the php code to make it work.

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

Hi,

just wanted to let you know - yes it is working. My help page is in German and I am not willing to translate this all into English. If you like you may have a look

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/nof/MySQL/

My tutorial starts here and it is not that easy

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/n...tml/mysql.html

You may like to try the Google translate option on the bottom of my pages. This gives you sometimes some very odd translation but maybe it helps a bit.
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook

Default Thanks Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Frei-Herrmann View Post
    Hi,

just wanted to let you know - yes it is working. My help page is in German and I am not willing to translate this all into English. If you like you may have a look

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/nof/MySQL/

My tutorial starts here and it is not that easy

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/n...tml/mysql.html

You may like to try the Google translate option on the bottom of my pages. This gives you sometimes some very odd translation but maybe it helps a bit.
    Thomas - This is a great tutorial. It is a bit hard because I really don't know German but I think I follow. However I had this working on NOF 11 using a DSN to access the ODBC connector, and I think that is what you have here. Mine just falls over when I go to the database tab. I am wondering if this is a 64 bit vs. 32 bit problem. I have a 64 bit system.

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

Hi,

you must have JAVA 32bit version installed. NOF is a 32bit program. Just install JAVA 32bit on your Windows 7 64bit system.
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Frei-Herrmann View Post
    Hi,

you must have JAVA 32bit version installed. NOF is a 32bit program. Just install JAVA 32bit on your Windows 7 64bit system.
    Hi - I just got back after a bit of debugging and discovered that the thing is generating ASP and java despite my option setting for php. I did not have Java drivers (either 32 or 64 bit) installed. Does it no longer support php? I will go ahead with the java driver but... I am not pleased.

No still not happy - the security suite happily generates php but the DB component insists on asp, despite being asked for php. And the jdbc connector is not going either - probably because it has its knickers entirely in a twist.

Sorry I am getting confused in all this - the asp factor was probably because I got the wrong database component - when I specified php both in the options and in the components I got something that looked reasonable. But it still fell over when I hit the database button.
    Last edited by JDavi2000; 08-27-2012 at 11:48 PM.