Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery file?

Default Recovery file?

For the past few months I have been rebuilding my 173 page web site due to my failure to properly perform Version upgrades, manage assets and export to a template over the past 15 years.

The good news is I'm about 125 pages into the rebuild and after each session I Verify Assets, Re-optimize and Export the entire site to a Template. Seems to be working fine, no hangs, crashes etc.

What is the purpose of the Recovery file that I recently found in a Recovery sub-directory and how is it used?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by NOF-Newbie View Post

What is the purpose of the Recovery file that I recently found in a Recovery sub-directory and how is it used?
    NOF makes little 'mini-saves' as you work (but is better to be in the habit of saving frequently on your own as you work). In the case that NOF shuts down unexpectedly while your site is open, then you go to re-open your site, NOF will remember that the site was not saved or shut down correctly. The recovery file will tell you that and let you know that any work done from your last save will be lost. Then it will attempt to recover from the latest backup file. If that file has not been corrupted, you site will open exactly as it's last save.

Joe Rotello

Default Re: Recovery file?

On 4/10/2012 10:05 AM, NOF-Newbie wrote:
    > For the past few months I have been rebuilding my 173 page web site due
    > to my failure to properly perform Version upgrades, manage assets and
    > export to a template over the past 15 years.
    >
    > The good news is I'm about 125 pages into the rebuild and after each
    > session I Verify Assets, Re-optimize and Export the entire site to a
    > Template. Seems to be working fine, no hangs, crashes etc.
    >
    > What is the purpose of the Recovery file that I recently found in a
    > Recovery sub-directory and how is it used?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    >

NOF-Newbie...

Start by reading the available NOG 12 on-line manual or that specific area.

No, you don't have to be a guru or a rocket scientist to effectively use
    NOF.

Then start using the software.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rotello View Post
    On 4/10/2012 10:05 AM, NOF-Newbie wrote:
    > For the past few months I have been rebuilding my 173 page web site due
    > to my failure to properly perform Version upgrades, manage assets and
    > export to a template over the past 15 years.
    >
    > The good news is I'm about 125 pages into the rebuild and after each
    > session I Verify Assets, Re-optimize and Export the entire site to a
    > Template. Seems to be working fine, no hangs, crashes etc.
    >
    > What is the purpose of the Recovery file that I recently found in a
    > Recovery sub-directory and how is it used?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    >

NOF-Newbie...

Start by reading the available NOG 12 on-line manual or that specific area.

No, you don't have to be a guru or a rocket scientist to effectively use
    NOF.

Then start using the software.

Joe
    Thanks for the tip Joe. I've only been using NOF for 15 years and would rate their documentation - user guides as the worst I've ever seen, virtually useless for someone who doesn't want to be a NOF guru.

But I'll take your advice and read the NOG 12 on-line manual for that specific area.

So, Recovery File and Re-optimization don't seem to be listed in the on-line help files for NOF 12.

Anyone care to explain these items?

So you've been using NoF since 1997 and you've never looked at or worked through the Mountain Jacques demo web site??? That's been published, as far as I can remember, since NoF was a startup back in '96. NoF with it's tutorial and getting started PDF had undoubtedly the best documentation of any application I'd used. I'm not sure if it's still included with v12 as I haven't needed it since about around 1997 (and I have been using NoF since v1 (actually since beta - it was offered to members of the Web Consultants Association - now defunct, to test prior to launch).

Actually, on checking my hard drive I find that the both the 20MB Getting Started abd 35MB User Guide were last included with v11. If you have an earlier version of NoF (and if you've been using it since 1997 and been upgrading since then, you should have multiple versions on your system) you'll find it in the /Docs directory in the NoF directory under c:/Program Files.

If you only have v12 you can download the v11 documentation from the NoF website.
    Last edited by franko; 04-13-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: To add further information

I asked a simple damn'd question and have received 2 lectures about using the crappy documentation that's scattered and disjointed, on different computers and on-line, and elsewhere.

And after all this nonsense, the explanation of the Recovery file and the Re-Optimize command are not listed in the documentation or on-line.

I have versions 5.0, 7.0. 7.5, 11 and 12.

I readily admit I screwed this up in the first place because there is just plain piss poor guidance from the beginning.

Never mind, this NOF nonsense is not my life, it's just a diversion and at the moment it's getting to be a really boring one.

Not very impressed by the non help I've received here.

And you can probably guess that those of us who have done the study, done the work (or as you Seppos say "The hard yards) ae not impressed by those who are too lazy to help themsleves before asking others to pitch in and help.

We don't get paid to do this, we do it to help each other, and that usually requires a little bit of self help first.

Odd how you call yourself "Nof newbie", but reckon you've used NoF longer than many of us. I began with v 7.5, did the tutorial before anything else, then ran v 8 and 9 before I even discovered the forum. Built a lot of good sites, because almost all the answers needed ARE in the documentation, IF you can be bothered spending the time.

Nor is it our fault that your documentation is "scattered and disjointed, on different computers", do you want us to tidy that up for you as well?

Do the tute, RTFM, and THEN come back if you really need help!

I tell you what Kiwi, I'll be driving past Oxford, NZ in October.

If you can point me to where in the documentation the Re-Optimize command and the Recovery file is explained, I'll stop and buy you lunch or dinner, depending on the time we get to the ChCh area on the way to Akaroa.

I have searched for reasonable explanations of both in the scattered on-line "help" files and on my system.

In fact, I did find one "help" document that said please contact support for help with (I believe it was) Re-optimize. That's all it said. Not when to run it, not what id did. Pretty poor, don't you think?

Now, I've been in the I/T business for 45 years, at one point 35 years ago I wrote courses on teaching people new hardware in the corporate environment, contrary to what you may think I do know a bit about these things and what good and bad documentation looks like.

And yes, I have been using NOF a really long time, but not as a nerd (write to the metal) developer. I chose NOF because it was a wysiwyg and I didn't have the time (or desire) to "really" get into it. Had that been my goal NOF is not something I would have chosen to use for all these years.

But for the time being I'm stuck with a huge NOF based web site.

Cheers,

Newbie, Beach Ape actually gave the answer right at the top of the thread.

If you do come my way, give me a call, always happy to meet a fellow NoFer, although Akaroa and Oxford are on opposite sides of Christchurch. Akaroa's about 90Km south and Oxford 55 km north west. My contact details are listed on my profile.