Thread: File links and Publication

Question File links and Publication

I have built a company Intranet using NOF 12 and have been creating a preview on our file server and pointing users to index.html in this share. As the site grows, it is taking a VERY long time to create a new preview, so I would like to publish the site so that I can update only the changed portions in the future. When I created the local publish site, all the files that I have file links to are copied to the site files, so I assume the same will hold true for remote publishing, but I don't want all those files copied in - I want to continue to link to them in their current locations on my servers, to allow department managers to replace updated procedures or to allow users to view training videos from their local servers instead of over the WAN from a central file server.

Is there any way to publish my site with the file links remaining as links to current directories, instead of copying the files into the published site folders?

Thanks for any help you can offer - this has been driving me nuts!

Just wanted to pop this up again - it's getting to be time for another update, and I'd love to do the publishing thing, but I really need my file links to remain links. Is there a way to edit the HTML directly to do what I need it to? This would be a HUGE time-saver if anyone has a solution for this one...
    Thanks again!

I always do this with pdf files

I upload them to a folder on my server using ftp software

then I simply create external links to these pdf files and i never need to worry about them again

Upload the files to your servers. In NoF use an external link and link to the file on the server using a full path (eg. http://www.domain.com/files/file.doc). That should do the trick.

antonsvideo: Is there a free FTP software I can use for this? We don't use FTP for anything else, and everything is already set up in separate folders on my file servers.

franko: Since this in an internal Intranet, I can't get to any of my servers using a regular http path, only UNC, and then it sets them up as file links and copies them into the web site folder when I publish. I basically want to keep the html files in the "Intranet" directory on my main file server, and then point to the training materials or documentation for policies, procedures, etc. on the file servers for each regional office so they don't have to download them across the WAN. Generating a Preview from a .nod file on the server does what I want, but then I have to update the whole thing every time I make any kind of change.

Thank you both for your input - hopefully we'll be able to figure something out, now that a couple of brilliant minds are involved!

Quote Originally Posted by foxkitty View Post
    antonsvideo: Is there a free FTP software I can use for this? We don't use FTP for anything else, and everything is already set up in separate folders on my file servers.
    Sure is, Filezilla is my choice.

Not Anton, but HTH.

If you use Firefox, FireFTP is very nice. It allows you to drag and drop from you desktop to your server directory.

I occasionally play Anton on TV when he is busy.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

I found the solution I was after! When I go to do an external link in NOF, there's an option to do "file:///" which I had not noticed before. I can simply put my UNC path in the box after selecting this option, clean up any spaces or invalid characters, and link it. It works like a charm! Now, I understand there may be some issues associated with this when using FireFox or Chrome, but since this is an Intranet and we only use IE, it's perfect for me. Also, for guidance on syntax and invalid character replacement, I referred to the following blog on the Microsoft Developer Network:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2...n-windows.aspx

Thanks so much for all the help, and the great ideas, and most of all for encouraging me to figure out what this software can really do for me!