Thread: Layout vs. Master Border

Question Layout vs. Master Border

My site is optimized for 1024x768 resolution, but when it is viewed in a larger browser window, the layout expands to the right so that the right side of the master border stays the same size. My banners look funny with extra layout background to the right of them, so I'm wondering:

Is there a way to lock the layout size and force the right side of the master border to expand to fill the extra space instead?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Quote Originally Posted by foxkitty View Post
    My site is optimized for 1024x768 resolution, but when it is viewed in a larger browser window, the layout expands to the right so that the right side of the master border stays the same size. My banners look funny with extra layout background to the right of them, so I'm wondering:

Is there a way to lock the layout size and force the right side of the master border to expand to fill the extra space instead?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    When asking for help of this nature it is always essential to post a URL so we can see what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FugleyKiwi View Post
    When asking for help of this nature it is always essential to post a URL so we can see what is going on.
    Because this is a company Intranet I am unable to provide a URL, but I am attaching a couple of screen shots. In the one titled "MarkedPreview" I have bracketed the extra Layout background that generates to accommodate a browser window wider than 1024; what I want is for the right side of the Master Border to expand instead, so that my layout width remains locked at 850px and any extra space to the side is filled with the dark blue background of the Master Border. To put it simply, I want to lock the horizontal dimensions of my layout, rather than having the right side width dimension of the Master Border locked.

Please see attached screen shots:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarkedPreview.jpg 
Views:	794 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	1139 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DesignView.jpg 
Views:	805 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1138

You've shown us the design view in NoF, not the browser view when published. I'm still at a loss to understand what the problem is you need help with.

OK, hard to tell from screen dump, but it looks to me as though you have your layout in a table and you have stretched the table to be wider than the background image, therefore causing the image to repeat.

But that is just a guess, maybe right, maybe wrong.

My Master Border has margins - Left: 150 px; Top: 125 px; Bottom: 64 px; Right: 24 px; and I have frames turned on for Top, Left and Right.
    My Layout has a width of 850 px, which makes for a page width of 1024 px.
    When I open a page in a browser at 1024x768, it looks like this:

Name:	SiteView.jpg 
Views:	730 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	1142
    If the browser window gets wider, like on a laptop screen, it looks like this:

Name:	ActualEffect.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	1140
    What I WANT is for the 850px layout width to stay the same, but for the right margin of the Master Border to expand instead, so it would look like this:

Name:	DesiredEffect.jpg 
Views:	984 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	1141

I'm afraid I'm not very experienced at all this, so I'm not sure if there are tables generated behind this or not, but I did not purposely create any. I can tell you, though, that if I turn off the frames, everything turns the same silver-gray as the layout background. Is this my problem? Is there some way to make the Master Border background a different color than the layout without using frames?
    Hopefully this is more helpful than my previous posts... I've been trying to make this work for over six months, and I haven't been able to figure anything out.

Frames is always a bad idea and are imho completely obsolete. I haven't used them since about 1996. In answer to your question, yes. Place a layout region in the layout and you can set the background to any colour or image you want. This is my routine for all my sites.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Frames is always a bad idea and are imho completely obsolete. I haven't used them since about 1996. In answer to your question, yes. Place a layout region in the layout and you can set the background to any colour or image you want. This is my routine for all my sites.
    Okay, Adding a Layout Region seems to accomplish the color scheme I want, but now I get the little exclamation point on all of my elements and if I do a preview it puts them all to the right of the Layout Region. I sent the Layout Region to the back, so it looks right in design view, but how do I get it to let me add elements on top of the layout region?
    Sorry to ask for so much, but I'm pretty new at this and I've learned everything I know by trial-and-error with different versions of NOF, so I haven't been exposed to any kind of "best practice" methods before. Thanks for all your input!

The "little exclamation point" is telling you you have overlapped objects. Reposition objects so the point disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FugleyKiwi View Post
    The "little exclamation point" is telling you you have overlapped objects. Reposition objects so the point disappears.
    I know that's what the exclamation points mean, what I couldn't figure out is why I didn't have any before I created the layout region, and everything had one afterward. I think I actually solved this one myself, though: I selected every object on my page, used Edit>Cut to remove it all, created the layout region, and used Edit>Paste to put everything back on top of the layout region. From there I just used the arrow keys to line up the corner of my banner with the corner of my layout region (since all my elements were still selected everything moved at once), and voila! my page looks the same in design view as it used to, but now it looks the way I want it to in preview as well!

Bonus to using Layout region instead of frames: the site is not nearly so bulky and the previews generate much faster! Thanks, franko, for a great suggestion!