Thread: Can I build my own template?

Default Can I build my own template?

There are a number of templates available, but they do not really suit my needs. I employ several Art Deco elements on my site and would like to attach those to my own template.
    Questions:
    - is that possible and
    - if yes, how do I do that?

Richard
    Last edited by Ristcard; 05-06-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo

Simple anser, yes.

Longer answer, NoF does not require the use of a template as such, you can add any design elements you like to your page(s). Quite often all I will do is edit a style to contain the Nav buttons I have designed and the rest is all my own work.

That sounds promising. Where can I find a short (or even long) tutorial? I'm switching from Frontpage 2000 to NoFE 12 and that is quite a leap, so any extra helpo is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ristcard View Post
    That sounds promising. Where can I find a short (or even long) tutorial? I'm switching from Frontpage 2000 to NoFE 12 and that is quite a leap, so any extra helpo is appreciated.
    Presumably you will have a page design in mind, with button types etc?
    Start a blank site. (It won't really be blank!!)
    From the Style menu choose 'New Blank Style' and choose a unique name.
    From here you can add all your own buttons/banners/text styles etc which will be used in your site. Once you're happy with the changes, choose Set Active Style.
    (Don't worry, you can still change things later if you need to)
    Delete any unused sitestyle(s)

In page view, add whatever banners, navigation aids etc to the masterborder areas, as these will then be available to any new page you add which uses the same masterborder. (You can also have more than one masterborder)

From Site View, add a selection of pages as you think will be relevant - again, it's not set in stone as you can add more later.

When you're happy with your very basic site, go to Assets view, and delete unused assets.

Back to Site view, Tools/Reoptimize.

When that's complete, from the File menu choose Export as Template, and give it a sensible name.

That's it. ( VERY much abbreviated )

Next time you need to start a new site, choose New Site \ From Template, and choose the template you've just saved.
    Your new site will have all the basics you've just done, and you can edit/fine tune the layout and style as you see fit for the new project.

My workflow is to design the look and feel of a site in Photoshop and get the client sign off on it. As all the different elements are on separate layers, it's trivial to then save each element for the web into the Styles folder I have created for that site. Then just follow the instructions Ken's given above.

BTW one of the previous owners for NoF developed some tools for creating and editing styles and various other NoF functions. They were called the NoF Toolbox. I still have them available on my ftp site: ftp://unlimitedmarketing.net/

There was also Template Studio Pro from No Limit Software. I still give my copy a run from time to time. Basically lets you take any image and make the required slices and export as a NoF template. Not sure if they're still around.