Thread: MLR Mult iLayout Region Tab Top Styling

Default MLR Mult iLayout Region Tab Top Styling

Styling of MLR's drives me bonkers! I've been poking away at this for days now.

I've sussed out many of the key elements in re-styling a Tab Top MLR. But there's something going on that I can't fathom. I've customized a tab top with new graphics, tweaked the size, the box outline etc. But on the right hand side, there is some sort of padding setting that won't allow me to extend the content area all the way to the edge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MLR-Edge.gif 
Views:	324 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	1152

This creates an unwanted (and uncontrollable) gap between the content and the outer box. Like so:

Name:	MLR-Edge-preview.gif 
Views:	325 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	1153

I've looked at MLRs from some of the stock styles, and they don't seem to have this issue. So maybe in my flailing about trying to figure out what each parameter does, I've changed something. But I'm pulling my eyebrows out (rest of hair is already gone) trying to figure out this last bit.

Any tips, pointers, suggestions, recommended hair restorer much appreciated.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

Hi,

this might be the padding (class ".ui-tabs-panel") ...

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/n.../html/mlr.html

... I am on a business trip in the US right now, so I might not reply.
    Last edited by Thomas Frei-Herrmann; 05-11-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook

Thanks for the reply, Thomas.

This is the maddening part: I found the "padding" entry under .ui-tabs-panel -> Box -> Padding that defaults to 1 em 8 px. I delete that and all the padding disappears except the right-hand side. The same thing happens if I comment out the padding line directly in the CSS file, as in your example. I can't figure out where this is coming from.

But you gave me an idea! I am going to set the background colour of the PANEL to the same colour as the content background. That way it will appear to extend to the edge.

The other oddity of this is changing the same CSS parameter on different MLRs doesn't always do the same thing.

For example, on one, I set the panel border by filling in "border-top", "border-right", "border-bottom" and "border-left". This creates a border around my MLR.

Name:	MLR1-1.gif 
Views:	297 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	1154

But on another MLR on the same page, this has no effect.

Name:	MLR-2.gif 
Views:	305 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	1155

I must enter the individual colour and style before it takes effect. Like so:

Name:	MLR-2b.gif 
Views:	296 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	1156

MLR styling is something that requires some UI work, IMO. You should be able to define a single MLR style and use it throughout the site. As it is, I have to modify each MLR individually. And if I publish a single page, the CSS file loses the modifications to the MLR. So I must publish all pages each time, or, at least, all pages with an MLR, otherwise the switch back to the default.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in