Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOF 12.3 slow to change pages

Default NOF 12.3 slow to change pages

After updating to NOF 12 update 3, I have noticed that it takes quite a long time to switch pages from one tab to another. The system has 4GB of RAM and two fast processors, and prior to updating the software, it took about 5-15 seconds to change to a page with a lot of images and text. Now, when changing to a page with only a few images, a table and a little text (I am working on 20 new pages which were just laid out with the navigation buttons and basic elements), I have found that while sometimes it changes rapidly, sometimes it can take 90 sec. to two minutes to change pages, and sometimes the program locks up completely. The update took care of a few items that were costing me time, but this issue will probably require that I remove and reinstall the software so I can get back to work if you do not have a solution.

Please let me know... and thanks for taking the time.

Ron Reznick
    www.digital-images.net

Other than NoF, how many other progs are you running? My NoF runs quite quickly on a dual core 4G system Win7 Ultimate. But it sure slows down when I have Photoshop open, then open up a slidewhow maker and a graphics cruncher and I crawl.

I had a look at your site and think the problem may be the large number of images on a single page. You may benefit from breaking it down in to smaller apges with fewer images per page.

HTH

I have a typical workflow with several applications open. Normally, Photoshop is open, but when I saw this problem occur I closed it. The problem did not occur with the earlier version, either with or without Photoshop open, and it occurred with this version with Pshop open or closed. My site is in the process of being rebuilt with a smaller number of images per page, but with 15,000+ images displayed the pages generally have 35-60 images even in the new sections. This has not been a problem... even with 150-200 images on the older pages or on a Select page like the Japan Select 150 page.

I work with NOF all the time, and had been working on the new Indian Lands and Anasazi Sites pages just the day before with the earlier version. I had created the tables, navigation bars and a few other elements such as the Photoshelter banner & text on each of the 20 pages in the new section. Today, before starting work, I made two backups of the NOD file and then updated the software to version 12.3. The problem showed up when switching tabs to any of the pages in the new section which had only a few small images on it (banners with Photoshelter info, contact info and copyright, plus a few divider banners). The program locked up a few times too, causing recovery.

I have tried opening some pages with a LOT of images, and they sometimes open quickly, at other times they take a long time, and sometimes the program stops responding. This also happens with pages with 35 images. I have also switched to pages with a medium number of images, a small number of images, and a large number of images and get the same results... sometimes they open quickly, sometimes it takes a long time, and somethings the program locks up. This sometimes requires multiple recoveries before the program stops locking up, even when trying to open or switch to a page with 35 images on it.

By the way, I find that once the program locks up, it will continue to do so after recovery when you try to open a page, unless you first save after the recovery is complete.

... none of this ever happened before the version 3 update. If I have to revert to the earlier version, I will lose an entire day of work, but I would rather do that than deal with this all the time. I'm going to end work on this for today and watch to see if there is a solution. If a solution does not present itself, I'll have to revert tomorrow morning, as I cannot waste more than one day.

Ron Reznick
    www.digital-images.net

Have you tried optimizing your site in Site View?
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I am a long time user (since NOF2), Version 12 absolutely CRAWLS when compared with earlier versions. I am working on a fairly large site of about 140 pages and it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to one minute to simply switch from one view to another. I've optimized several times, deleted unused assets, etc. My machine is new and running XP, running v12 in Windows 7 is even slower to the point of being unusable. At some point, I have to come to the conclusion that this program has some serious issues and my only hope is that the company takes note and fixes these obvious problems.

Hi Chuck and Kevin,

Remember, all was fine prior to the update, other than a few small annoyances (which was why I finally applied the update). I had optimized the site prior to adding the Bruges and Siena sections. This site has about 350 pages, and I generally work on a few pages at a time, at most times there are five or six tabs open at once, but the problem occurs with only two template tabs open and one or two pages. I've worked with NOF since version 3. I like v12 overall (tabbed workflow is its major improvement over v8, which was my last version), but this recent nightmare cost me several hours yesterday.

Do the technical support folks monitor this board? Should I expect one of them to weigh in here?

Ron Reznick
    www.digital-images.net

By the way, just for the sake of completeness, I'm reoptimizing my site now. I forgot that it takes over an hour to do that [sigh]. Hmmm... I have realized after about 45 minutes that the optimization has locked up at 26% and NOF12.3 is not responding. I think I am going to revert to 12.0 so I can get back to work. The annoyances caused by the forced selection of image optimization settings (even though they are preset in Options) and the glacial wait for a line break are not enough to cause me to have to deal with this mess. Maybe a tech support person or someone who knows how to straighten this out will weigh in and I'll try 12.3 again later.

I am so glad I backed up before updating. Now I'll only have to redo yesterday's work.

Ron Reznick
    www.digital-images.net
    Last edited by Ron Reznick; 04-25-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Twayne

Default Re: NOF 12.3 slow to change pages

In news:Ron.Reznick.5bkygz@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    Ron Reznick <Ron.Reznick.5bkygz@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > Hi Chuck and Kevin,
    >
    > Remember, all was fine prior to the update, other than a
    > few small annoyances (which was why I finally applied the
    > update). I had optimized the site prior to adding the
    > Bruges and Siena sections. This site has about 350 pages,
    > and I generally work on a few pages at a time, at most
    > times there are five or six tabs open at once, but the
    > problem occurs with only two template tabs open and one
    > or two pages. I've worked with NOF since version 3. I
    > like v12 overall (tabbed workflow is its major
    > improvement over v8, which was my last version), but this
    > recent nightmare cost me several hours yesterday.
    >
    > Do the technical support folks monitor this board? Should
    > I expect one of them to weigh in here?

Once or twice an eon maybe. But this group is the only place you'll get any
    program help. PSP doesn't GAS about customers anymore.
    When I need help, I go to the European address - they used to at least
    respond.

>
    > Ron Reznick
    > www.digital-images.net

Once or twice an eon maybe. But this group is the only place you'll get any
    program help. PSP doesn't GAS about customers anymore.

Well, that ought to endear them to all of the customers who have supported the company for years...

The tech support folks referred me to this board a while ago when I was dealing with other issues. They did help a little, but it was a long, frustrating process. It's nice to know that people here will help, but I have already reverted to 12.0, rebuilt most of the structures and other work I did yesterday, and added some more material. I'll watch to see if there is a solution before re-applying the update, and if nothing comes through, I'll just work with 12.0 until I have enough time to do something else (such as switch software if/when 12.0 starts driving me up the wall, even though I have worked with NOF for many years).

It's too bad... I've referred every one of the roughly 2000 photographers I have trained to NOF, and quite a few bought into it. That must not be much incentive to the company though, if this is the sort of support we get.

Ron Reznick
    www.digital-images.net

IMHO the big problem is that Fusion is running on windows, particularly windows 7 which, although an improvement in stability over previous versions, continues Microsloth's slavish adherence to the philosophy that the OS should provide every possible application, wanted or not, that a user might ever conceivably need. The result is a grossly bloated OS with so many hidden settings that it's practically impossible to resolve any issue that affects the hundreds of thousands of applications that run (or don't) on the windows system.