Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Being really really really slow again - what's up???

I don't care if there were 360MB manuals for NOF. The documentation for this software stinks, the software remains buggy after 15 years, and you fan boys can blindly defend this junk all you want. It's like anything else, we're now too deeply invested in NOF to change, but if there were an easy transition path I'd be out of this software in a New York minute.

the software remains buggy after 15 years,
    And this from NOF-Newbie! GUFFAW!

I have to agree completely! I look after a fairly large club website and have done so with NOF 7.5 for years now. After realising I could get my site operating under a newer version I "upgraded" to NOF 12. Only difference is I have Win 7 64 bit instead of 32 bit Vista. I thought things would fly along - NOPE! As has been mentioned about a minute to change from one page to another and longer to "local publish", it's virtually unworkable. Does anyone have answers to this major pain?

Quote Originally Posted by KayK View Post
    I am SOOO FRUSTRATED with this app being SOOOO incredibly slow moving from page to page. Today and yesterday (even after a restart), it's taking ONE MINUTE OR LONGER to change pages! TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. IT'S WORSE since the "update", not sure why I bothered and out $100. Updates are supposed to improve. I don't see it!

I don't have any problems like this with my other apps (Dreamweaver is way fast and I wish I had developed the site on that!). WHY IS NETOBJECTS SUCH A PAIN??

I would start by creating a new test website that contains just a few pages. If it behaves smoothly, then you know that your computer and your NOF installation are playing well together. Then I'd open the offending website... make a copy of it... and then using the copy, start doing some experimentation. The object is to find out what pages or what assets or what scripts are hanging things up. Working with the copy, make a template that just contains perhaps half of the pages on your site... and another template with the other half. Open the templates. Is one fine and the other slow? If so, you are getting closer to identifying the problem so keep breaking off sections of the site until you isolate the issue.

I also have a speed problem with changing pages. It seemed to start when I added a page containing a multi-layout region with 5 tabs. It takes so long to switch to or from this page that I can go make a cup of tea each time, and when I get back it STILL has not switched!
    Maybe multi-layout regions are not a good idea anyway? I notice that if I publish any OTHER page (or list of pages), it republishes the MLR tabs file every time, without the tabs! So every time I publish anything I have to include the multi-layout region page, or the tabs disappear!

Yes, clearly a bug in the program. I tried out a multi-layout region once just as a test... decided it was too gimmicky for the situation and removed it right away but the components continue to get re-published years later even though I've deleted the page, made new from template, re-optimized, deleted unused assets... you name it. It's there for life. But the slowness you experience should not be. There's something else causing that and you will eventually isolate the problem and the program should become very fast.

I wish there was something like a debug log that could be enabled in situations like this. Without knowing what its trying to do when its being slow, its going to be very hard to find the problem. Note that there isn't much disk activity, so its either working in memory or actually waiting for something.
    The site in question has 79 pages now, and the compressed .nof file is 14.3Mb. Computer is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ with 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz, so it SHOULD be fast, and IS fast at most things, other than NOF12....

Suggestion to Kay (and others experience super slow NOF response). It has been our conclusion that the primary speed bump is the graphic driver (those cute yellow pages in 'Structure view'). We found that by hiding the lower levels NOF responded much more quickly. True., NOF brings them back again, unfortunately, without even asking. We also moved to a gaming computer with the HD-5970 video board. In essense, we reduced the time it takes for NOF to output its graphics and that significangtly helped speed it up. Maybe we cannot change the program, and they appafrently don't intend to, but that could be a good work-around for you. Good luck!

Unfortunately that didn't help. I hid everything under the Home page, so there was just a single cute yellow page in the Structure view. It then took 50s (slow, but not too bad) to open the home page (which is a simple flat page) into the Design view. I then switched to another page that was already present on a tab in the Design view, and that took just on 3mins to open. During that time CPU core #1 was flat out at 100% and there was virtually no disk activity.

Some more information: It seems that pages without a master border open almost instantly, while pages with a master border, even a simple one, are now taking between 3mins and 7mins to open. It seems strangely random. Sometimes a page that took 3mins to open once then takes 6mins the next time.

Wow! Just had a '3min' page take 12m43s to open! That's not just REALLY, REALLY slow, that's ASTOUNDINGLY slow! Note that I'm not editing anything on these pages, just switching between them...
    Last edited by adrianjball; 06-26-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Sounds like you've tracked down the problem. Good work. Now start experimenting with the master border(s). Do you have more than one? Is one particular master boarder causing the problem? Does a new master border built from scratch and not based on any other master border and not containing any content work fine? Can you work with that clean master border and add elements WITHOUT doing any actual copying and pasting from other master borders (because you don't want to pollute the new one with content that might in fact be causing the problem)? As you rebuild the master border element by element, check the speed frequently to make sure you're still on track. There is no way in the world you should have to be enduring these delays and most likely, the sort of tedious experimentation suggested here will lead to a solution.
    Last edited by LBA; 06-26-2012 at 01:17 PM.